Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what is a system file named deferred install which i am denied access to

i recently opened my system files and noticed a file called deferredinstall .

when i tried to open it ,it told me i was denied access to this file even though

i am the owner and only user of this computer.

can someone please tell me if i should worry about this and tell me if i should

do anything about it.

thanks

lots do do

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 8:45 PM

12 replies

Apr 13, 2012 1:49 PM in response to lots do do

lots do do wrote:

kappy

i got the message leave system files alone okay.

what i need to know about it, i will ask someone else.

who is a little bit more human

again your no help for nothing

Actually, there are quite a few files in the System areas and also in the /private/var areas (some of these are hidden folders, which is one way that Apple tries to make sure you don't touch the files) which are set so you do not have permission to open or change, even if you are the computer owner and administrator. There are ways to get access to those files, you have to change the access attributes or log in specially in a different way, but the reason they are set up to nominally to prevent your access is that if you accidentally (or on purpose) move or modify them, your computer might not be able to boot or run properly. There are quite a few posts in these forums from people who did change those files (deleting them to make more room, or just doing something because the person was curious) and now can't start their computers up. So that's the reason why it is best to leave them alone. You don't want to become one of those victims!

Apr 15, 2012 10:06 AM in response to lots do do

I think Kappy was just trying to protect you, actually.

Here is something you might wish to read about "deferredinstall".

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3485789?start=0&tstart=0

One brave soul actually deleted the folder (I advise NOT doing that), but apparently it was recreated. Others seem to think it was created during a migration, but some others thought otherwise. I think searching on the internet might produce some clues, but I always read a "protected" file or folder as Apple telling me not to change it.

Oct 12, 2012 7:47 AM in response to lots do do

hello!

i just came to this discussion because i found the deferredinstall folder on my system too.

so that there is no real answer to the question what the folder is about, i'm taking a guess - cause i feel like beeing on the right track.

i guess it's a folder which contains the install-data for preloaded system updates. sometimes when system update starts, the updates are preloaded and ready to install. that happens when the system update tool is loaded automatically by os x.

when you are looking for system updates on your own and there are some, os x has to download them after you selected the updates which should be performed.

hope this helps!

what is a system file named deferred install which i am denied access to

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.