Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hardware Test will not run?

I have a new mac mini running OS 10.7.2 and I have just noticed problems with keyboard and mouse intermittently not working, along with other random glitches that seem to be hardware related. I tried restarting while holding down the "D" key to run hardware test, but all I get is the computer trying to get onto the Internet to restore. It then asks to choose a network, and when I drop down the menu of network choices, my home network is not listed -- only my neighbor's.

Right after purchase I cloned my OEM system drive over to a faster HDD, and the OEM drive is now an external backup. I wouldn't think that would matter since everything has been working fine for the last 3 months.

How can I run a hardware test? Thanks.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Windows 7 Mid-2011, 8 GB, dual HD's

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 10:54 PM

15 replies

Apr 13, 2012 12:20 AM in response to Photon3

I cannot explain why your home network does not appear.

Right after purchase I cloned my OEM system drive over to a faster HDD, and the OEM drive is now an external backup.

That could explain your difficulty. It is looking for AHT on the Mini's HD. If it is not present it is supposed to attempt to load the Internet based AHT.

Try holding Option D at startup. This will force the Internet version of AHT to load. It still needs an open network or WPA/WPA2 for which you know the password.

Do you have another Mac, and its system install DVD? You could try the method described in this KB article:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2644

I know it is written for the Air but read the instructions toward the end concerning Remote Install Mac OS X. I have no idea if it will work for the Mini, but try it.

Apr 21, 2012 6:53 AM in response to John Galt

Thanks John. I tried the following:

Option D rendered the same results as holding down just the "D" key at startup -- the computer trying to go onto the Internent. When I was given a choice of networks, just my neighbor's and not mine were listed. I tried typing in my network name and password, but no luck.

When I'm normally booted, no problem getting onto the Internet. Another post on these forums mentioned someone having the same problem.

I have a system install DVD for a 2009 Mac Mini, but when I tried to use it in the external DVD drive, I got the same result -- computer trying to get on the Internet, but not offering my home network as a choice.

I don't understand why a bootable clone of the original system HDD (via SuperDuper) would not have a working AHT. Along with the new Lion OS, this is one more thing I hate about my new Apple. I loved my previous five Macs.

Apr 21, 2012 8:43 AM in response to Photon3

Not sure if this is feasible in your situation, however

Apple Hardware Test can be put back locally from a back-up /TimeMachine (SnowLeopard)/ or SnowLeopard install disk.

Found here: /System/Library/CoreServices/.diagnostics

Copy the ".diagnostics" folder from "/System/Library/CoreServices" on your original disk supplied with your machine to the same "/System/Library/CoreServices" location on your Lion installation.

Holding the D when booting again accesses the AHT.

/System/Library/CoreServices/.diagnostics

Easier if you show your Hidden files first!

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE ;killall Finder

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE ;killall Finder

Apr 21, 2012 11:32 AM in response to Photon3

Yes. The .diagnostics folder is a hidden folder. (The folder name with a period in front specifies hidden.)

You will not be able to move the folder unless you can see it, unless you do everthing through terminal commands.

Easist through the GUI that is if you can see the folder.

Terminal copy and paste:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE ;killall Finder

after your operation is complete you can rehide the hidden files by the modified line:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE ;killall Finder

fruits of your labor:

User uploaded file

Sep 9, 2012 3:53 PM in response to pennbank

I traced my problem to not having the hidden OS files on my cloned system drive. These hidden files do not copy over when you clone your system drive w. applications like SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner. I gave up on trying to remedy this until I also discovered that not having these hidden OS files also caused Color Management problems in Photoshop CS5 under OS 10.7.4 (prints came out too light).

I learned that the new version of Carbon Copy Cloner has a utility to copy and install these hidden OS files onto a previously cloned system drive. Once I did that, not only did my Photoshop Color Management work properly, I can now access AHT and my home network to do a remote restore if needed.

Sep 9, 2012 9:55 PM in response to ccNeo

ccNeo wrote:

Hi John,

What is the "way" of restore AHT to the boot volumne.

Please enlighten.

What I learned was that the hidden OS files for AHT and Recovery are in their own volume called the Recovery Volume, NOT the boot volume. This volume is hidden and does not show up in Disk Utility.

Carbon Copy Cloner has a utility that will create that additional volume on your system drive by taking some space from your boot volume to create a Recovery Volume. Then it locates the hidden files on your original OS system drive and copies them over to the system drive you created by cloning.

Maybe John has an easier way?

Sep 9, 2012 10:25 PM in response to Photon3

Hi Photon3, I believe that AHT is installed on the boot volume, not the Recovery HD.

ccNeo, I do not believe AHT is stored in EFI. I think it was Apple's intent to change AHT to be an Internet-based option only... it may not be present on new machines at all.

In any event you can install AHT on the boot volume but you will need your system installation DVD or whatever contains Apple Hardware Test, and a package extractor such as Pacifist (I know of no other).

Locate your original system installation DVD and open the system installation package with Pacifist. Within it, find the package called CPUHelpFiles and install the file called CPU_AHT on your boot volume. Once installed, AHT can be invoked by holding the D key upon startup.

If you don't have a system installation DVD but you have a volume with AHT already installed, then the technique described by leroydouglas above should work.

Sep 9, 2012 10:43 PM in response to John Galt

John Galt wrote:

Hi Photon3, I believe that AHT is installed on the boot volume, not the Recovery HD.

Quite possibly. My experience was that I could not access AHT until I was able to create a Recovery Volume on my new (cloned) system drive and copy the hidden OS files over to it from my original OEM system drive. Possibly the hidden files enabled access to AHT residing on the boot volume, when holding down the "D" key at startup.

Originally, when holding down the "D" key, no AHT appeared and a window popped up to select my home network to access the Internet. My network was not listed in the choices (but all my neighbors' networks were), and even when I typed my network in, it was not accepted. Seems like when my system could not find AHT it then tried to go online to access it.

Hardware Test will not run?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.