Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Superdrive noise after Genius Bar replacement

Hello,

after a superdrive replacement at Genius Bar, this one is doing noise at start and when Macbook Pro 5,1 exits from sleep.

I check the firmware version and it's KA19.

I try to applicate the Superdrive Firmware Update 3.0 that i had from an old time machine bakcup (because i can't install it from this link : http://support.apple.com/kb/DL975 ) but it's annoucing that the Firmware is already applied (i did it 2 years ago with the old superdrive).

My system version is 10.7.3

What can i do and how i can apply this update to suppress this noise ?

Thank you for your requests and sorry for the english i'm french !

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2008), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 13, 2012 1:15 AM

11 replies

Apr 13, 2012 3:15 AM in response to Jerdopler

Mine makes a noise when turned on (same as what Shootist007 says) and when it is turned on from sleep. This is a normal function where the OS is conducting a hardware check, the optical drive being one component of this process. You will not get rid of this noise.

If you feel that it is excessive or too loud, you may go and have it checked out. I suspect though that your MBP will get a clean bill of health in this respect.

Ciao.

Apr 13, 2012 4:12 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Thanks for request but before the replacement it doesn't make noise when it's turn on from sleep. On the apple support it's write that the firmware update is for Macbook Pro with superdrive firmware name KA19 (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3744?viewlocale=en_US) and it's my case but i can't install this update.

It's not very important but i want to know if you have a tip without going to the Genius Bar again

Apr 13, 2012 6:02 AM in response to Jerdopler

Ok i'm a lazy boy but this post forced to not be.

At the end of this page http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3744?viewlocale=en_US there is a link if you cannot install this upadte. It recommends to reinstall the system with the original CD. That's what i did and after a 10.5.8 combo install, the software update has Superdrive Update 3.0 and i can install it and it works !!

Thanks for your help, my problem is solved !!!

Jun 13, 2012 7:22 AM in response to Jerdopler

Hi guys, I recently purchased a new MacBook pro (2012) model and had it exchanged twice as I was also experience super drive noise when I started up my laptop. After going through to MacBooks with the same issue, Its probably conclusive that it is just the superdrive configuring itself. It may be an issue if it happens when coming out of sleep as I have only experienced it for a split second when pressing the start button.

Dec 18, 2012 11:43 PM in response to Shootist007

"It always came on whether from a Cold boot or from waking from sleep. It is the system checking the drive. You may of not heard it before but it was happening. Just changing the drive would not change the normal function of the computer."

Sorry to say that but it's not true.

I have a mi-2012 MacBook Pro and during 4 months, it never did the noise when waking from sleep.

Now it does this check when it's waking from a long sleep and i hate this mecanic noise from my silent MacBook

I would love to disable Superdrive completely because i don't use it at all but nobody has helped me doing this ..

If somebody knows how to prevent this behaviour and go back like before, or to completely stop SuperDrive, i would be happy ..

Superdrive noise after Genius Bar replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.