5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2013 5:43 AM by MadamC
Roger Lier1 Level 1 (15 points)

I have been having intermittent trouble with my USB ports on my Early 2011 MBP 13" i7. One port was dead. This started when I upgraded to Lion from Snow Leopard. In order to see if the problem was with the installation of Lion, I cloned my drive with Lion 10.7.3 on it and then reinstalled Snow Leopard OS from the disks that came with the computer. The problem disappeared. I restored the clone of my drive with Lion on it and the problem did not occur again... right away. Now after a day of using the computer with the restored clone with Lion on it, the problem cropped up again, but not as bad as it was before. The port stopped working, but when I unplugged the device and plugged it in again, the port worked.

I am wondering if this could be a driver issue. I just happened to notice that iTunesHelper has a Yellow Warning triangle in the Login Items window in the Accounts System preferences. And Kind is listed as Unknown. In another MBP 13" I use at work, that has Lion 10.7.3 on it, iTunesHelper has Kind listed as Application with no yellow warning triangle.

Is this something to be concerned about?

Screen Shot 2012-04-13 at 7.11.39 AM.png

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3), MBP 13" i7 Early 2011
  • Barney-15E Level 8 (46,274 points)

Sorry my details are sketchy, but I think that is caused by an old iTunesHelper app sticking around and not being replaced by the new one.

Remove it from the list and iTunes will set it back up if needed. I can't remember the setting in iTunes that will replace it. iTunesHelper just watches for an iPod or iPhone to be connected, and then automatically launches iTunes, so it is likely the checkbox that tells it to auto-launch iTunes when connected.

• Roger Lier1 Level 1 (15 points)

Thanks Barney. I did what you suggested, but I was a challenge to add it back in. I started iTunes up, plugged in my iPhone, and the iPhone appeared in the iTunes sidebar, as it is supposed to. But still no iTunesHelper back in the system prefs login times.

I googled a bit and found instructions to go to iTunes in the Application folder, control-click on its icon and choose Show package contents. I did this, but did not find it in the Resources folder where someone said it should be. I did a search on the Contents folder of the iTunes app after selecting Show package contents and below is what I found. I dragged it to the System Preferences Accounts Login Items, and voila:

Screen Shot 2012-04-13 at 8.43.45 AM.png

• Schlomo5 Level 1 (0 points)

Just wanted to say thank you for including details as to the solution you found. Helped me fix the same problem : ) From a new mac user, it's always great to see the wealth of knowledge - and SHARING of that knowledge - in the mac world!!

• Barney-15E Level 8 (46,274 points)

Sorry, I should have checked my login items before.

I don't have iTunesHelper and everthing works as expected.

They may have gotten rid of that and use some other method.

• MadamC Level 1 (0 points)

Hi Barney, This worked for both iTunes and Evernote. Thanks for posting this and including the details.