Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading (finally) to Lion from Tiger (oh my)

I'm finally ready to upgrade from my Tiger OS to the new Lion.

I have the disc, from Apple, to upgrade first to Snow Leopard and from there I'll immediately download Lion.

I'm assuming there's no reason, and it's best not to open any files while I'm in Snow Leopard.

I have my Home folder backed up to an external hard drive.

Is there anything else I should know or be aware of? Is there any special way to do this?

I read something once about maybe doing a "clean install" of the new OS (Snow Leopard or Lion?). I don't really know what that is. Will that be necessary?

iMac7,1 2.4 GHz; 2GB, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Tiger iLife '08 Alesis IO|14 FW Interface

Posted on Apr 13, 2012 8:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2012 9:48 AM

First thing I'd do is...

1. Insert the10.6 Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu at the top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.

3. Click the First Aid tab.

4. Select your Mac OS X volume.

5. Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

Make sure you have at least 30 GB of free space on the drive.

10.6 by default does what we used to call an Archive and Install, so all should be good.

After Install update to 10.6.8

Buy Lion online.

PS. You may be very disappointed with either OS with only 2 GB of RAM, at how soon things slow down.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2012 9:48 AM in response to poflynn

First thing I'd do is...

1. Insert the10.6 Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu at the top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.

3. Click the First Aid tab.

4. Select your Mac OS X volume.

5. Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

Make sure you have at least 30 GB of free space on the drive.

10.6 by default does what we used to call an Archive and Install, so all should be good.

After Install update to 10.6.8

Buy Lion online.

PS. You may be very disappointed with either OS with only 2 GB of RAM, at how soon things slow down.

Apr 14, 2012 11:20 AM in response to poflynn

10.5 needs twice as much as 10.4, 10.6 needs twice as much as 10.5, 10.7 needs twice as much as 10.6

Here's mine & I often run out of Memory & get real slowdowns...

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac7,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 6 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: IM71.007A.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.21f4

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/iMac/Intel_Core_2_Duo

Upgrading (finally) to Lion from Tiger (oh my)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.