Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reconnecting media files that have been moved to external drive

I am transferring my video files to an external hard drive due to being close to capacity on my iMac. Is there a simpler way to "reconnect media" in my Final Cut projects after I have moved the files to the new external drive? I have about 20 projects that would be effected by the move of files to the new location.

Thanks

Final Cut 4-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 13, 2012 9:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 1:30 PM

The only way to reconnect media is to re-open each FCE project and follow the prompts to reconnect the media clips for that project. Be sure to save your FCE project after reconnecting media.

Notes:

1. when you move your media to the external drive, do not copy any render files or cache files; only your source media clips. You cannot reconnect render files or cache files, so it's not even worth the bother of copying or moving them
  2. your external hard drive must be connected & mounted in order for you to reconnect the media

In the future, if you reopen an FCE project without the external drive connected & mounted, you will again have to reconnect the media.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2012 1:30 PM in response to Father of Four

The only way to reconnect media is to re-open each FCE project and follow the prompts to reconnect the media clips for that project. Be sure to save your FCE project after reconnecting media.

Notes:

1. when you move your media to the external drive, do not copy any render files or cache files; only your source media clips. You cannot reconnect render files or cache files, so it's not even worth the bother of copying or moving them
  2. your external hard drive must be connected & mounted in order for you to reconnect the media

In the future, if you reopen an FCE project without the external drive connected & mounted, you will again have to reconnect the media.

Reconnecting media files that have been moved to external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.