Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Numbers iPad Auto-fill from pop-up menu choice formula

Hey Wonderful People, hopefully you may be able to help me, i'm new to spreadsheets and numbers... and the iPad! I'm just getting to grips with functions & formulas.

What i need;

I have one column (B) formatted with a pop-up menu where approximately 50 different text items can be selected (Types of Equipment to be precise). These text items can be either Class1, Class2, or Class3.

What i would like is that when one of these text items is selected from the pop-up menu another column (F) in the same Row in the table is auto-filled with either Class 1, Class 2 or Class 3 respective to the text selected.

Firstly i started using the IF function and got about 8 items deep before realising this is very long winded approach!!!

Can this be done and what type of function should i be looking at using, i should mention i also have all the text/class type for the pop-menu saved on another sheet, if this helps.

Thanks in advance.

iPad 2, iOS 5.1

Posted on Apr 13, 2012 11:36 AM

6 replies

Sep 27, 2017 4:44 PM in response to Wayne Contello

Hi I have an IPAD Numbers programme problem too, but a different one. Can you help me please? Whilst I can change orientation and size of the page for printing, I can't figure out how to get my multi page spreadsheet to print in the "centre" of the page. Currently my document is clipping off the left and side of the document when printing, when there is plenty of room on the right hand side.

N.B. the document that I am printing is an excel document on an iPad air2.

Apr 13, 2012 11:59 AM in response to ACR1982

populating F based upon the value in B? Is it a one to one relationship? each item in B can be either Class 1, 2 or 3, but is always the same? i.e. Equipment Type1 will always be class 3? Never 2 or 1?

If so then make a table with the left hand column being the equipment type and the second column the class. then in F use a vlookup (other types of lookups will work as well, just a little different).

To learn vlookups, I suggest reading the function and formula guide available from the Apple support manuals section.

Jason

Apr 13, 2012 12:42 PM in response to jaxjason

Thanks for the advice i will look into vlookup function!

Just to clarify every item in Column B is a text entry, each of the entries can be either one of three catagories class1, class2 or class3, and will always only ever be one of these three catagories, no matter so the relationship will always be a constant.

I will respond hopefully with success, thanks!

Just a quick add i it is possible that text entries (equipment types) will be repeated several times over will this matter?

Apple Numbers iPad Auto-fill from pop-up menu choice formula

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.