Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

There is no disk for me to select when it says "Selete the disk where you want to install Mac OS X"

I just got my macbook pro back from a harddrive repair and it was reported to have been working fine. So, I start it up and it takes me to Mac OS X instalation screen (The Snowlepard disk is in it) and I select a language and then agree to the terms and service. It then takes me to a screen that says "Install Mac OSX" as a title and below it says "Select the disk where you want to install Mac OS X". The only thing is there isn't any thing to select from.

Any advice please?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010)

Posted on Apr 13, 2012 6:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2017 3:19 PM

When I came across this I noticed that I didn't have a volume under the main APPLE SSD SM1024G Media. You need create a partition under it. Click on APPLE SSD SM1024G Media, select partition map scheme is GUID Partition Table. Name the volume Macintosh. Select and make sure it is in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format. Select Apply. Once you see the volume created. Go back to the macOS utility screen and select install MacOS.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2017 3:19 PM in response to emmingja

When I came across this I noticed that I didn't have a volume under the main APPLE SSD SM1024G Media. You need create a partition under it. Click on APPLE SSD SM1024G Media, select partition map scheme is GUID Partition Table. Name the volume Macintosh. Select and make sure it is in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format. Select Apply. Once you see the volume created. Go back to the macOS utility screen and select install MacOS.

Apr 13, 2012 6:47 PM in response to emmingja

Switch over to Disk Utility (IIRC, should be in one of the menus), see if the HDD device is there. Click on it to select, make sure the partition map scheme is GUID Partition Table. If a volume is present (named Macintosh HD?), select and make sure it is in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format. Erase/repartition if needed, and see if that fixes the MIA disk issue.

Jun 14, 2017 11:19 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

On my machine (late 2012 27" iMac), the Disk Utility choice was inside the window with the choices as to where to load the OS from. I selected Disk Utility and followed Courcouls's instructions and my problem was solved. Apparently, my new HDD wasn't being recognized by the system yet, but after "fixing" that problem, it came to life, so to speak, and I was able to continue with the installation. I'm now upgrading to the latest version of OS X, thanks to you two! Thank you!

Mar 28, 2013 1:21 PM in response to Niel

Niel, you are "The MAN!" I have a 2006 MacBook Pro and I just replace the original Toshiba Aries 80GB and 5400 RPM with a new Seagate 500GB SATA,16MB Cache, and 7200 RPM and I had the same issue as "emmingja" I have totally forgot about "Disk Utility". Thanks, just wish I could of installed the "Lion" OS. Anyways, thanks for your response to "emingja's" post. 🙂

There is no disk for me to select when it says "Selete the disk where you want to install Mac OS X"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.