Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini Optical Drive recently ejects all movie DVDs

When I insert a movie DVD, it checks if for 5-10 seconds then ejects the disc which is a problem since I use my Mac to watch movies.

I recently updated my OS X via apple (I don't know if this caused the problem). Is this a common problem recently and what steps can I take to troubleshoot it?

Mac mini4,1

OS X 10.6.8

2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Optical Drive: OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5680H

firmware version: 3AHB

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8), OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5680H

Posted on Apr 13, 2012 5:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2012 8:03 PM

Reset the SMC > Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Unplug the computer's power cord.

3. Wait fifteen seconds.

4. Attach the computer's power cord.

5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

Reset the PRAM and NVRAM > Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3. Turn on the computer.

4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

6. Release the keys.

Go to: Apple / System Preferences / CDs & DVDs and make sure that "Open DVD Player" is selected When you insert a video DVD:

User uploaded file

Clean the Drive with a > DVD Lens Cleaner for example.

Then if it is still not working, make an appointment with your local Apple Store or AASP and have the Drive serviced. > Apple - Support - iMac - Service FAQ

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2012 8:03 PM in response to pinktalon

Reset the SMC > Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

2. Unplug the computer's power cord.

3. Wait fifteen seconds.

4. Attach the computer's power cord.

5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

Reset the PRAM and NVRAM > Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3. Turn on the computer.

4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

6. Release the keys.

Go to: Apple / System Preferences / CDs & DVDs and make sure that "Open DVD Player" is selected When you insert a video DVD:

User uploaded file

Clean the Drive with a > DVD Lens Cleaner for example.

Then if it is still not working, make an appointment with your local Apple Store or AASP and have the Drive serviced. > Apple - Support - iMac - Service FAQ

Apr 14, 2012 3:25 AM in response to den.thed

I haven't had a chance to rent a DVD yet, but I did everything (not sure the disc cleaner ran so I'll try another app), but after resetting the PRAM and NVRAM, I looked again at the System Preferences/CD and DVD. Intresting clue. Before resetting, the "When you insert a video DVD" would display "Ignore" and I couldn't set it use any Mac application but would leave a tab with a horizontal line through it. After doing everything, I can now set the application to run via that menu. I hope it works!

Apr 19, 2012 5:50 PM in response to den.thed

Many thanks for all of your replies and suggestions! It's one of the ways I think the internet has proven invaluable! Den.Thed, I think my problems were caused by two separate issues. Your instruction (I needed the refresher!) helped one of the problems, my PRAM/NVRAM did become corrupted and it solved the ejection problem (I almost tried an expermental firmware for the drive which made me nervous). When I tried copying a DVD I got a non-fatal and different error message. Popcorn pop-up "couldn't complete last command because ID=-5001."

I believe that there is a brand new DVD encryption scheme released (try, "The Immortals" or "Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol naturally which I own). Everything else I have works fine now although Popcorn still has that darned error at the very end while writing the lead-in. I had some correspondance with the support for one of my apps and they think it's a new encryption scheme as well.

I will certainly look at the LG GE24LU20 as well since nothing frustrates like an internal optical disc going bad!

Best!

Kathy

Mac Mini Optical Drive recently ejects all movie DVDs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.