Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backing up your photos on your time Capsule

Hi there,

I was hoping someone in this community could please share their expertise with me.

My start up disc is full and I thus need to transfer photos across to my time machine.

Time machine is great when looking for old documents but i can't access my photos as they are all on iphoto.

Can someone please advise me.

THANK YOU!

iPhoto '11, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 12:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 12:19 AM

Instead of using the Time Capsule or a drive with the Time Machine backup for the active iPhoto library, purchase a different drive, copy the photos to it, launch iPhoto wih the Option key held down, and point it there.

Having your backups on the same drive as the original data won't help when that drive fails.

(65611)

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2012 12:19 AM in response to Lauren Elliot

Instead of using the Time Capsule or a drive with the Time Machine backup for the active iPhoto library, purchase a different drive, copy the photos to it, launch iPhoto wih the Option key held down, and point it there.

Having your backups on the same drive as the original data won't help when that drive fails.

(65611)

Apr 14, 2012 6:47 AM in response to Lauren Elliot

There are two ways to use iPhoto - (1) when you add new pictures they are added to the iPhoto library which is in your Pictures folder or (2) they are transferred to a folder of your choosing (usually the Pictures folder). In either case, unless you told TimeMachine to ignore some folders when backing up, all your photos are on TimeMachine already.

If your pictures are in the iPhoto library you'll need to copy the entire iPhoto library, it isn't really possible to look into the library and see individual photos.

Backing up your photos on your time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.