Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

deleting tracks in itunes

How do you delete tracks in iTunes? How do you remove them completely?

Mac OS X (10.7.3), 750Gb HD, 8Gb RAM, high-res screen

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 1:24 AM

5 replies

Apr 14, 2012 8:09 AM in response to John Batten

John Batten wrote:

How do you delete tracks in iTunes? How do you remove them completely?

If you are in Music view, Delete will remove the track from your library.

If you are in a playlist:

-- Delete will remove the track from the playlist but leave it in the library

-- Shift-Delete will remove it from the playlist AND from the library

Furthermore... when you remove a track from the library, IF its corresponding file is in your designated iTunes Media folder, iTunes will give you the option to move the file to the Recycle bin. (If the file is elsewhere, you will not get this option.) Is that what you mean by "remove completely"?

Apr 14, 2012 8:29 AM in response to John Batten

Adding to Ed's point, if the files are not inside the iTunes Media folder, but you'd still like the files removed when you remove the entry from the library, and your question relates to your Mac (despite this being the iTunes for Windows forum) then you may have some joy with this script: DeleteSelectedFiles

Not having a Mac myself I can't test it but I presume it does what it says it does.

tt2

deleting tracks in itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.