Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please can you tell me how to find out which generation Classic ipod I have?

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 9:40 AM

13 replies

Apr 14, 2012 2:57 PM in response to sixthedition

Check this page; http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1353 for help in identifying your model.

The Classic has been available since September 2007 and over the years has been made in 80Gb, 120GB and 160GB versions. Check carefully, since the iPod 5th Generation was available in 80Gb as well.

There are pictures and a bit more identification features listed below the table on that page.

Apr 14, 2012 4:14 PM in response to sixthedition

No, if it's a 5th generation, and it's 30GB, that's not a Classic. It's simply known as iPod (5th generation).

There are two very slightly different 30GB iPod (5th generation) models too. Check that list, under 5th generation, and notice the paragraph stating iPod (5th generation Late 2006). In that paragraph, it tells you how to correctly identify the late 2006 version. On a few occassions, it may be necessary for you to know. The most suitable discussion community for that model of iPod is Older iPods.

You should note the other 30GB iPods shown in the list too, the iPod Photo for instance, which first came out in 2004.

Apr 15, 2012 12:47 PM in response to sixthedition

Suppose so. More specifiaclly though;

• We know it's not a Classic.
  • If the last three characters of the serial number are not in the list shown for iPod (5th generation - late 2006) model, and yours (WEC) are not, then it is not an iPod (5th generation - late 2006) .
  • Providing the screen on your iPod is wider than the wheel underneath it, then it must, by default, be the iPod simply known as iPod (5th generation), available from October 2005.
  • If - by any chance, the screen on your iPod is the same width as the wheel underneath, then you actually have a very early iPod, prior to the 5th gen one.

So unless you realise otherwise, you have an iPod (5th generation), available from October 2005

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.