Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Suddenly none of my hyperlinks are working

For some reason none of the hyperlinks I have set up over the years on an iWeb site are working. A black window appears rather than the desired .pdf document. Any suggestions? Thanks.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 1:16 PM

17 replies

Apr 15, 2012 10:58 AM in response to deepeace12

You coiuld go into iWeb and change the username and password to guest and guest, republish and then after we're finished with the help change it back to your original username and password.

In the meantime check to make sure there are no items overlapping the hyperlinks on the page. You can do that by typeing Command+A while viewing the page in Safari. That will show all items and will let you see any that might be overlapping.

Apr 15, 2012 12:05 PM in response to deepeace12

That's OK. I have a Top Secret clearance ( or used to )

I don't think there's anything wrong with your website. My pdf links also behave the same way in Safari. However, in Firefox the pdf files appear as they should.

This is even with the PDF Browser plugin that's available so that PDF files can be viewed in browsers. So there's something that's changed recently that's preventing Safari from viewing PDF files.

Right now I don't have a solution. Well, there is a solution of sorts. That's using Google Docs Viewer to display the PDF document. This demo page has an example: Scrolling Text Box. It does not require a plugin.

Apr 15, 2012 9:35 PM in response to Old Toad

You use URL forwarding with masking.

The pdfs do not display properly on my iPad.

They're scaled down and only page one of multipage files are visible and the pdfs cannot be saved.

When I use this is address :

http://web.me.com/kfrankel28/Los_Olivos_Townhomes/Agendas,_Minutes_%26_Newslette rs.html

the pdfs displays all pages correctly and they can be saved to iBook.

So why not use the domainname properly. But that may interfere with you other website :

http://web.me.com/kfrankel28/PHXvipassana/Welcome.html

You have to find a solution anyway, since MobileMe is closing down by the end of June.

Apr 16, 2012 9:31 AM in response to Wyodor

Wyodor:

Are you using Safari and, if so, do you have the PDF Browser Plugin installed? I had the Enable plug-ins checkbox unchecked in Safari by mistake which was why I was unable to view the pdfs. Once I checked it the pdfs were viewable.

However, the Google Document Viewer would seem be a better soltuion for multi page pdf files as it would not require viewers to have the plugin installed.

Apr 16, 2012 9:45 AM in response to Old Toad

The problem I described was with Safari on the iPad.

No scrolling of multiple pages, only one page visible.

Page visible was scaled down to half screen size on the left when in landscape.

And the usual buttons at the top to save to iBook weren't there.

But only when the pdfs were viewed with URL masquerading. They behaved normal with the web.me.com URL.

And on the Desktop Safari I see this Plugin :

WebKit, ingebouwde pdf

ingebouwd = built-in.

Suddenly none of my hyperlinks are working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.