Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Uninstall ical & ditch icloud

I am a newbie Mac user, so I would ask that any responses be put into 'idiot' language, thanks!

I have activated icloud and do not understand how to use it. Furthermore it has proven to be of no use and a royal pain. Can aybody tell me how to close my icloud account once and for all or simply 'opt out' as my Macbook keeps prompting me to input my Apple ID every half an hour or so as icloud cannot access data, which is irritating in the extreme!

Not only that, but recently I chose to add some appointments to Outlook and ever since then I continually get dialogues from ical coming up requiring me to dismiss reminders. This continues way past the time/date of the appointments! I am seriously disappointed with Lion OS X and the effect it has on my overall 'Mac' experience to the point that I sometimes regret having paid a small fortune for the privilege of these annoyances!

My question then, would be that since I do not need ical, icloud, can I uninstall these programs or otherwise opt out of their so called 'functionality'?

Any advice on how to get rid of this from my Mac would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Dave

<Edited By Host>

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Must b run in 64 bit, as unchecked

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 2:25 PM

14 replies

Apr 14, 2012 2:34 PM in response to Kappy

Yeah, thanks Kappy, I think I may have thought of that myself! I have tried to turn off icloud, but can I? It seems to have other ideas! Advice on exactly how might be appreciated? Also, I never once opened ical, but once again IT insists upon poking it's unwanted nose in. I am trying to work in MS Outlook and would be happy for i-everything else to butt out as it is unsolicited and not required. Again, any real help in getting rid of the program would be welcome.

Thanks

Apr 14, 2012 2:44 PM in response to Mafa_K

iCloud preferences in System Preferences. In iCal delete the service entry.

Obviously, you can be rudely critical, but no one should make a little fun of you, eh?

Actually, I was being polite, and politely poking fun at you. But since I'm now clueless I guess there's nothing more for me to do here. 😀

Apr 14, 2012 2:59 PM in response to Kappy

Nothing MORE? nope, I guess not! Thanks for all the err.. help.

I'm quite happy to have people poke fun at me (I even did it myself in my original question) I just have to wonder at the mentality of such an insecure individual as to feel the need to be offensive on a personal level, regarding an IT issue (I find this bizarre in the extreme). There certainly seems to be a little 'insecurity' in this community, I only wonder if it has something to do with the indefensible nature of some of the 'buggy' coding and an inane, inexplicable loyalty toward a badly flawed OS.

So in answer to your response; yes there is nothing more for you to do here, so please free to run along and I will miss YOU.... not.

I repeat; is there anyone (else) who can offer any genuine assistance with my issue?

Applicants beginning with K and rhyming with 'crappy' need not reply 😉

Apr 14, 2012 4:14 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Thanks Roger! I seem to have some very bizarre problems with my 'Apple ID'/profile/whatever. I can sign in, in response to the repeated pop ups (several times during a session), but when I try to change anything within Sys Prefs, and my Apple ID is asked for it just 'freezes' (shows the animated 'rotating wheel', but never logs in so that I have to escape out) Unchecking calendars didn't seem to work either, severely frustrating! 😟

Apr 14, 2012 11:40 PM in response to Mafa_K

That sounds uncomfortably like some sort of corruption: you could try deleting the preferences.

Apple have hidden the user’s Library folder to casual viewers, in an attempt to stop new Mac users screwing their machines up. To access it, in the Finder go to the ‘Go’ menu and hold down the Option (Alt) key; the Library folder will appear as a choice.

Open this Library, then open Preferences, and delete com.apple.systempreferences.plist. I'm afraid this means you will have to set up every setting in System Preferences all over again.

Apr 20, 2012 12:41 PM in response to Mafa_K

Well, deleting the plists (or at least removing them to another folder) didn't work 😟 but within the preferences I managed to delete the accounts. They magically reappear (repopulate) and unchecking calendars didn't work either, as a moment or two later the check mark reappears(***?!) What I seem to have managed to do, which is working until now, is to delete the accounts and before they reappear, add them using my sign in data, (which appears to reset everything rather bizarely) and THEN unchecking all the services except for chat (which I am never going to use). Until this moment it has been working, ie hasn't popped up any reminders or asked me sign in to any accounts, but time will tell I guess. Honestly, in all my time using PCs/Macs/whatever I have never encountered a more irritatingly corrupt, bug-ridden bunch of badly thrown together software, this '*****' to use the vernacular of the age. Fingers crossed this **** thing continues to work. There are certain functions I like on it, but a **** of a lot of it is just downright maddening and frustrating! Thanks to those who have and continue to offer help!

Feb 22, 2013 2:05 AM in response to Mafa_K

Hi Mafa K

I am a long term MAC OSX user and I am in total agreement with you with regards iCal. If there was any way in which I could remove this software from my MacBook I would be very happy. Apple does not appear to offer any way in which to disable or hide their default applications !!

In a corporate environment when you are forced to use Outlook 2011 as the Email and Calendar application it would be so nice to disable the duplicate built in applications.

I have found iCal to be a complete "pain in the ***" as it constantly tries to synchronise with Outlook and produces the duplicate reminders as you have experienced. Yes you can turn off the notifications but this is really not the point - I don't want iCal interferring with my Outlook !!!

When will Apple take on board that not all of us want to use their default built in applications and a simple chek box to disable/remove them would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone knows differently then please help us resolve this - Many thanks.

Uninstall ical & ditch icloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.