Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

5th gen iPod wheel unresponsive

5th generation ipod, spent most of it's life in a dock. Plays fine in dock through remote. Today took it off dock to use with headphones and it does nothing. The wheel clicks but nothing happens. Toggled hold, did 'select' and 'menu' to reset, but still nothing what gives?

iPod nano

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 2:33 PM

14 replies

Apr 17, 2012 2:52 PM in response to Vletts

OK have since gone through the 5Rs, which seems to only deal with software issues. But thanks for the recommendation. It still operates just fine in a dock and through iTunes, but the diskwheel is totally non-responsive unless I am trying to 'reset' it. Otherwise it does nothing. Is it just a glorified 'programmable' radio now?

Apr 18, 2012 8:03 PM in response to Vletts

Oh, so the click wheel DOES do something. It just does not scroll (detect movement), which is the "touch sensitive" part of the mechanism. Does any of the clicking (Play/Pause, Menu, Next, Previous, and Select) work, other than for doing a reset?

Yeah, if the lock appears and disappears, the Hold switch is working...

See if this may be relevant

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1425

Apr 19, 2012 4:58 PM in response to Vletts

I don't have anything else, as a remedy... odd that the click wheel is generally unresponsive, EXCEPT for those two buttons when you do a reset.

The fact that your iPod's hard drive (plus everything except click wheel) is fully functional gives your iPod some value. You can sell it on eBay as broken, with a working hard drive. Most iPods (with a hard drive) that are broken, are broken because of a bad hard drive; someone will want it, just for the working hard drive. OR, you can look for an iPod (of the same type) with a broken hard drive, and swap in your iPod's hard drive. OR, find one with a working click wheel, to replace your iPod's broken click wheel. OR, you can buy a mini- hard drive case (sold on eBay) for the iPod's 1.8-inch "ZIF" hard drive, and use it as a tiny external USB drive.

This web site has instructions for taking iPods apart

http://www.ifixit.com/Device/iPod_Original

and there are probably also YouTube demo videos.

Apr 21, 2012 4:23 AM in response to ellisisawesome

I have restored the software to the ipod already and nothing changed. I'm not sure how deleting and reinstalling itunes would do anything as i have a phone and 3 other ipods that sync with it and they are all fine. But if i have time later I will try that, just seems time consuming for a problem that has no direct correlation. But this is an electronic device so who knows what is going on there.

Sep 29, 2012 9:55 AM in response to Vletts

I'm having the same problem with my 5gen. It was at it where the touch wheel would not scroll down and only work as a button (primarily after holding down the "back/rewind/left" side of the wheel, so at least I know where the source of the problem might be), until I would switch the "hold" toggle on and off. I've also restored my ipod but, still with the same issues as right now not even switching the '"hold" on/off is working.

5th gen iPod wheel unresponsive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.