Skip navigation

Why can I not get a full restore using time machine

350 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 14, 2012 9:49 PM by ds store RSS
HMBGENO Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Apr 14, 2012 4:13 PM

Hi

I am trying to restore my info using time machine. I am switching from a Core duo with an 80 GB HD to a Core 2 duo with a 320 GB HD. When I use Migration I get my apps but I do not get my mail, photos or itunes. if I try to access my time machine backups to tranfer manually I get a message saying "Peparing to copy" and the number of items being prepared just keeps going up! I mean like 10,000 to 40,000+ items!      Its obviouslly trying to tranfer everything on the external HD

Does anyone know why I am not getting all my info with migration or why I can't just copy one small folder with out dumping the whole contents of the Ext. HD into one folder. I'm obviouslly doing something major wrong.

I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure this out! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ron

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8)
  • baltwo Level 9 Level 9 (59,150 points)
    Apr 14, 2012 4:51 PM (in response to HMBGENO)

See Pondini's TM FAQs for starters.

27" i7 iMac 10.6.8 , Mac OS X (10.7.3), G4 450 MP 1.5 GB RAM w/(10.5.8/10.4.11/9.2.2)
  • ds store Level 7 Level 7 (30,305 points)
    Apr 14, 2012 7:48 PM (in response to HMBGENO)
    Apr 14, 2012 9:12 PM (in response to HMBGENO)

When you get a stable system again, think about making bootable clones.

You can hold the option key and boot from them and use the computer like before

You can use them to access data on a non-booting internal drive

You can use them to repair the internal drive

You can erase and reverse clone, run data recovery software and anything else just about.

You can even clone the clone to another computer of the same make/model/year

You can access the data on a clone directly, from any computer (Mac, Linux or Windows) that can read the HFS+ format (Windows needs MacDrive installed)

Your data is not trapped, you can copy it and do anything just like any other drive, except only boot with it to the same Mac or like it.

You can set them to auto-update on a schedule, have as many as you need, some spaced back in time too.

You can (like what I do) auto-clone one partition to another on the boot drive every other day, just in case you do delete something you have a couple of days to get it back.

AND, you can run Apple's Migration or Setup Assistant against a clone to transfer to a new machine.

Most common backup methods explained 

https://discussions.apple.com/community/notebooks/macbook_pro?view=documents

Apr 14, 2012 9:49 PM (in response to HMBGENO)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.