Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iPad will not let me access settings for mail, contacts calendars

Suddenly for no reason that I can see, my one week old New iPAD will not let me access settings for "mail, contacts, calendars". I can highlight the selection but actually selecting it just freezes the screen. The mail app malfunctions - lets me delete messages but then restores them. All apps, including mail, drop out seemingly randomly making the device totally unusable. Total disaster if I can't find a solution. From what I've read I am not the only one to have hit this problem but I have found nothing to help me to a solution. 😟

Skymmer

iPad Wi-Fi + 4G, iOS 5.1, MicroSIM fitted the previous day.

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 4:44 PM

4 replies

Apr 15, 2012 7:07 AM in response to b j t

Thanks for those thoughts.

I had set up two hotmail, one yahoo, one gmail, one exchange and four pop accounts (with accompanying smtp servers) within a couple of hours of purchasing the device. All had verified correctly and in a timescale of minutes or less. They had been operating for the entire week before the problem arose.

This morning decided to take a "sledge hammer" approach and did a complete restore via iTunes on my PC. I did not reinstall any of the email accounts initially. I then set up each of the email accounts in turn, checking that each one functioned correctly, before uninstalling again and going on to the next one. To my surprise the problem came back not, as I half expected, when I installed the exchange mail but with my oldest (and longest established) hotmail.com account. A further observation is that the mail app stayed in the "downloading mail" state before it dropped out. Checks using Outlook, Blackberry, Windows Live and my iTouch showed no similar problem with this account - and a hotmail.co.uk account worked just fine. It's a mystery!

Now I'm a bit nervous about reinstalling any hotmail accounts so I've left the device email-less for the time being!

New iPad will not let me access settings for mail, contacts calendars

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.