Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

13" 2011 MacBook Air Creaking Case - Solved?

I know we shouldn’t have to go to such lengths to make our Apple products work, but since Apple is apparently incapable of coming up with a fix to this that actually lasts more than a few days at a time, this is how I solved the creaking case problem. Hopefully it stays that way.

I cut eight 1/4" square pieces of standard black elecrical tape and placed them over all the screw holes on the inside of the bottom cover, with the exception of the two holes that use the long screws (to prevent metal-on-metal squeaking at the tightest points of contact). I then poked a hole in each of the pieces of tape so that when the screws were reinserted they didn't have to try and break through the tape on their own.

I then cut two 1-inch square pieces of the screen protector sheet that came with my old MacBook Pro. It's a super-thin foam material (unlike the paper sheet that came with my Air). I placed the foam squares on top of each other, covering the slot in the middle of the battery pack where the black support on the bottom cover fits into. (This will keep the plastic of the black support from squeaking when coming in contact with the plastic slot.) I initially tried a few layers of black electrical tape there as well, but it still squeaked. You need a material that cushions but doesn't bind.

I replaced the bottom cover and carefully tightened all the screws. Since doing this, the thing hasn't made a peep, even when picking it up by the front edge when open.

Fingers crossed!

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 4:45 PM

2 replies

13" 2011 MacBook Air Creaking Case - Solved?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.