Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Warranty is up - CPU Upgrade Query

Firstly: Please, none of the "This isn't intended for users" or "Just get a new one" or "You can't do that" replies. I am well aware of all these caveats, and no, you don't need to waste your time convincing me of anything otherwise.

I am upgrading the CPU in my iMac 27" Core i5 2.66, late 2009. I know for a fact, people have had satisfactory and impressive results with moving from the Core i5 750 (which mine has now) to the Core i7 870 2.93ghz. These are both Lynnfield 45nm 95w TDP socket H1 1156 chips. All in all, the only difference is the bus ratio, which, since they are Lynnfield and running on the P55 chipset, they work fine in place of one another. However, my question is this:

Will a Core i7 880 3.06ghz work? It is the same exact family, same instruction set, same socket, same TDP, same architecture, same chipset support, but it was held out until '10, whereas the 870 and 750 are from '09. Will the EFI recognize it, as the 880 didn't exist when Apple shipped their motherboards? I'd assume so, as the only variable is the bus speed which Apple themselves allowed you the option of swapping up to when ordering (though they didn't offer the 870 or 880 on the 2009 iMacs.) and the CPU itself will report its name to the profiler, which could be the only unknown variable the motherboard would then have to sort out. And I'd hope they added the support somewhere in an EFI update, but it doesn't seem like them to support something they can't monetize and don't officially allow.
I know if they did not offer the option of upgrading the CPU at purchase, it is locked somewhere in the EFI and that core i3 users are either pushed to buy a new computer or be SOL in this case.
But seeing as I'm basically completely repeating the same exact procedure as HardMac describes here - but moving to an only slightly quicker processor - this should go very smoothly.
Any other brave souls have testimony regarding their upgrades to CPU or even have an iMac running an 880? I would love to hear from you.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 2010 27" 2.66ghz Core i5 8gb RAM

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 5:17 PM

8 replies

Apr 30, 2012 8:17 PM in response to BrandonFromTX

Alright!

The Core i7 880 works in the late 2009 iMac 27" Core i5 2.66ghz, flawlessly. Nothing needed to be updated or changed - just gutted my machine and pulled out the old i5-750, dropped in the i7-880 and went to town.

Geekbench score went from 6405 to 9500.
And that's only running 4gb of memory.

Should have 16gb of memory and an OCZ collosus here Thursday, and a Radeon 6970 2gb here by the end of next week.
Will update on those, if anyone is interested.

May 16, 2012 3:01 AM in response to BrandonFromTX

Hey,

I've followed a couple of your posts on upgrading the guts of the iMac and I just want to say thank you for your trailblazisg.

Secondly, I've been givin a Late 2009 Core 2 Duo iMac (3.06 Ghz, Radeon HD 4670) and wanted to get your thoughts on the feasibility/plausibility of upgrading from a dual core to quad core board.

Were you able to successfully upgrade the video card as the other users did that purchased that video card & can i expect the same success?

May 22, 2012 5:39 AM in response to jwestbrooke

As long as the FSB on the Core 2 Duo is the same as your target upgrade LGA 775 (1066 mhz), and the TDP equals out, I don't see any reason why you can't upgrade it. That said, your criteria pretty much limiting you to a Core 2 Quad 9505s, and that's not going to get you anywhere great except in programs that really love lots of cores. Maybe useful for multitasking, but I wouldn't see many scenarios where the reward is proportional with the agony.

If you're thinking of completely replacing the board - that's pricey and massive surgery that I'd only undertake as hobby or for fun work. Doesn't at all seem worth the cost and effort involved, from a practicality point.

But from a purely and absolutely technical perspective:

I did some really extensive repairs on a 2009 3.06 C2D, it's actually sitting in my girlfriend's bedroom right now. It's the 21.5 inch model, but the insides were remarkably similar to my i5 (now i7) 27". Her integrated 9400m is soldered to the board - no graphic upgrade possibility whatsoever.

But since you have the dedicated 4670, if you wanted you could likely move up (provided you follow the other discussion's basic layout.)

My graphics upgrade went swimmingly, plug and play. 2gb of VRAM on my 6970, Core i7 880 at 3.06 ghz, and 16gb of 1333mhz RAM. Pretty much as maxed out as I'm going to get the thing, but it's bought itself another 2 years on my desktop and then many more after that as my girlfriend's/family's machine.

Nov 20, 2012 8:51 PM in response to BrandonFromTX

Brandon,

I was curious about this answer, as it was posted in April 2012. At home I have a 2011 iMac that had a Core i5. I upgraded the CPU to a Core i7 2700. Everything worked great on Lion, but when I upgraded to Mountain Lion, OS X suddenly declared "Unsupported CPU" during boot and refused to start. Realizing that Apple never shipped a 2700, I decided to try a 2600 which they did ship. Changing the CPU to the i7 2600 allowed Mountain Lion to boot.

So, at work I have a late 2009 with a Core i7-860 (2.8GHz), and if I can upgrade to a i7-880 I will do so. However, given my past experience with Mountain Lion and "Unsupported CPU", I am curious if you've had any compatibility problems with Mountain Lion and your upgraded 880? I am concerned that because Apple never shipped this CPU, the new check in Mountain Lion will catch it and refuse to boot.

Feedback is much appreciated.

Nov 21, 2012 7:37 AM in response to austingaijin

My iMac late 2009 is running fine on Mountain Lion with the 880 upgrade.

What it may have been for your CPU 2600-2700 upgrade is beyond me, as Apple usually uses generic chipsets that as long as TDP and socket requirements are met, it runs.

I'll do a little more research and get back with you, if nothing else it's just a matter of modification of the KEXT file to show your 2700 as supported. Or maybe Apple specially wrote drivers in ML to take advantage of Airplay in Mountain Lion for only the 2600. If so we just need to spoof your iMac model I'd to make it think you're a 2009, and airplay will just not even try.

But no, my 880 is running ML like it should, no errors or anything beyond a certain heat increase and slightly dirty electricity output from the USB ports (only really apparent if you're doing audio work with USB powered toys).

Nov 21, 2012 10:42 PM in response to BrandonFromTX

It seems there is a problem with upgrading to the "K" series of CPUs on Mountain Lion (such as the 2700K that I tried). Mountain Lion will fail to start with an Unsupported CPU error.

Reference the end of this discussion thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-1404197.html

I'm glad the 880 is working problem free. I was concerned because I only saw one Geekbench result that was proportedly from an 880-upgraded iMac on 10.8.2. Your report gives me encouragement to give the 880 a go.

Thanks.

Warranty is up - CPU Upgrade Query

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.