Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When installing Snow Leopard, should I leave my printer connected and powered on?

I thought I was going to install 10.6.3 tonight, but I have read that the install will update any old printer drivers. The driver for my Canon is pretty old, so I know that the installer will update it. I got to thinking, how will the installer know which printer I have and which driver I have if the printer is not connected and turned on? I suppose that information is on my hard drive somewhere, but I don't understand the process. Maybe someone out there can give me an answer, and I can upgrade tomorrow. 😀

Any help will be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Ken

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 9:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 9:26 PM

... how will the installer know which printer I have and which driver I have if the printer is not connected and turned on?

The drivers are already present in your system whether the printer is on or not. They are updated as you said, as well as through Software Update from time to time.

You do not need to leave the printer on. If Canon should release updated firmware for the printer, it would need to be on and connected for it to receive the update, but that's a different matter.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2012 9:26 PM in response to ktaggart

... how will the installer know which printer I have and which driver I have if the printer is not connected and turned on?

The drivers are already present in your system whether the printer is on or not. They are updated as you said, as well as through Software Update from time to time.

You do not need to leave the printer on. If Canon should release updated firmware for the printer, it would need to be on and connected for it to receive the update, but that's a different matter.

When installing Snow Leopard, should I leave my printer connected and powered on?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.