Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

import iMovie HD file into FCPX

Oh, I hope we can figure this one out. I've got several iMovie HD 6.0.4 projects I'd like to import into Final Cut Pro X 10.0.3.

It appears that they don't work together. I see that FCPX has an Import iMovie Project option, however it's not recognizing my iMovie HD projects for import at all. They are all greyed out. I also see that FCPX has an Import XML option, however iMovie HD 6.0.4 does not have an Export to XML option.

I'm willing to try it all. If I have to import the old iMovie HD projects into newer versions of iMovie to get FCPX to recognize it I will. Has anyone any insights or experience in making this happen successfully?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 10:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 2:42 AM

Hi

I am assuming that you are wanting to import the original media into FCPX from HD 6.0.4 rather than the edited timeline from 6.0.4 ???

I do not have FCPX but have a suggestion that may work.

Copy the Media files from HD 6.0.4 onto your desktop ( cotrol click on the iMovie project-- show package contents--Media )

Try to import these files into FCPX from the desktop.(file--import--movies --desktop).

This does work for HD 6.0.4 into iMovie 09 but may be completely different for FCPX.

Good luck.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2012 2:42 AM in response to tonyakay13

Hi

I am assuming that you are wanting to import the original media into FCPX from HD 6.0.4 rather than the edited timeline from 6.0.4 ???

I do not have FCPX but have a suggestion that may work.

Copy the Media files from HD 6.0.4 onto your desktop ( cotrol click on the iMovie project-- show package contents--Media )

Try to import these files into FCPX from the desktop.(file--import--movies --desktop).

This does work for HD 6.0.4 into iMovie 09 but may be completely different for FCPX.

Good luck.

Apr 15, 2012 6:17 PM in response to tonyakay13

You could do a two step process.

First, in iMovie 11, click File/Import/iMovie HD Project.

This will import all your clips into an iMovie Event. Any clips that are in your iMovie HD timeline will now be in an iMovie 11 Project. Unfortunately, all transitions will be converted to simple cross dissolves, and you will lose all titles, music, and photos.

Now in FCPX, you can import the iMovie 11 Project.

I would do it this way if you want to preserve your edits. If you just want the raw footage, I would do it as mentioned above by the surreyfriends.

Apr 15, 2012 8:08 PM in response to thesurreyfriends

Well, shoot! It was a good effort, but saving my iMovie HD 6.0.4 Media folder to my Desktop, then importing it into FCPX 10.0.3, as you probably figured, only imported the audio clips and the video clips. I have these iMovie projects so spliced up with sound clips anchored everywhere, I really need that continuity.

I've instead decided to remove all my transitions in the iMovie project, export the project to a .mov file and import that into FCPX 10.0.3. That way the music will still be anchored, I can split the audio and video, and add my video transitions back in. It appears that's the best solution for this situation. Unless you have other ideas.

AppleMan1958, I unfortunately do not have iMovie 11. I'm not sure that would solve the issue? Thank you for helping me, all.

import iMovie HD file into FCPX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.