Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

saving a folder to external hard drive

i cannot save my folder to the external hard drive by simply dragging it. how can save a folder to a hard drive. my hard drive is 500 gig free space and folder is about 5 gig file. please help.

iPhone 4, Serial: 79037G2YA4S

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 12:10 AM

13 replies

May 8, 2013 4:07 PM in response to yrreg1960

Oh, sorry, I misread what you wrote previously.

Is this a hard drive that you initialized on this Mac, from the current user account? If it was set up from another user account, your user account may not have permissions.

On the list under You can only read, there is a plus sign at the bottom. Click that to add a Name. NOTE: If you cannot modify the list, click the Lock icon at the bottom left corner and give authorization.

Click the plus sign. Select your user account. If your name appears on the list now, set the Privilege to Read & Write.

May 8, 2013 5:04 PM in response to yrreg1960

Oh, that may explain the problem...

I originally just plugged it in a Windows laptop (which is already dead).

Mac OS X can read and write the Windows format called FAT32. However, the NTFS format is read-only. If this is the case, you can't make this drive read/write, with its current formatting.

What you can do, if the Mac's internal drive or other external hard drive has enough space, is copy everything to a folder on one of those drive volumes. Then, use Disk Utility to erase the drive. In Disk Utility, be sure to select the DRIVE (not the volume intended under the drive) in the Disk Utility sidebar.

On the Erase tab, if this drive will only be connected to a Mac going forward, select Format of Mac OS Extended (Journaled). If it needs to be usable with a Macs or WIndows PC, select MS-DOS (FAT) as Format, which is FAT32.

After erasing (reformatting), you should be able to copy back the data it had before, and any new data.

May 8, 2013 6:04 PM in response to yrreg1960

NTFS is the Windows native format, so obviously it is supported by Windows. Macs have their own native format.

At least Mac OS X has read/write support for FAT32 and read-only support for NTFS. That is very convenient. There is no built-in support for a Mac-formatted disk in Windows.

Reformat to FAT32 only if you need Windows and Mac read/write access to that drive. Otherwise, use the Mac's native format, which is called Mac OS Extended (Journaled) in Disk Utility.

There is a third-party product (not free) that adds NTFS read-write support to Mac OS X

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/

I've never used it, and I'm somewhat wary of products that modify how a Mac works at a very low level, especially one that is related to writing data.

Jul 12, 2016 10:58 AM in response to BooberbooFL

OS X El Capitan: If you don’t have the permissions to open a file or folder

If you don’t have permission to open a file or folder, you may be able to change the permissions settings.
  1. Select the item, then choose File > Get Info, or press Command-I.
  2. Click the disclosure triangle next to Sharing & Permissions to expand the section.
  3. Click the pop-up menu next to your user name to see the permissions settings. If you’re not logged in as an administrator, you may need to click the lock icon User uploaded file and enter an administrator name and password.
  4. Change the permissions to either Read & Write or “Read only.”

If you can’t change the permissions, contact an administrator of your Mac or the owner of the file or folder.

Last Modified: Apr 13, 2016

OS X El Capitan: If you don’t have the permissions to open a file or folder

saving a folder to external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.