Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need Help Connecting to Wireless Router

We have a MacBook that cannot seem to connect to the wireless router. The router is a typical Netgear router. The security is set to WPA2-PSK [AES]. I have carefully noted the passphrase that I set up.

When I go to the MacBook to connect, it asks for passphrase but it does not work. Ok, it was set to WEP. Go to change that and there is no option for WPA2-PSK [AES]. Only for WPA2 Personal.

What to do?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 10:20 AM

5 replies

Apr 15, 2012 7:07 PM in response to Apple User Names are stupid

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

We are users here, not 'Apple Inc.'

So you get help here by patiently waiting for someone to post an answer.

And by trying not to intentionally antagonize those who might be able to assist.

If you believe that "Apple User Names are stupid", then why on earth would you even bother to post your question here?

Why not just use a popular search engine to find an answer to your question from one of the other support sites available?

It's an old issue.

Here's an existing similar discussion thread that browsing/search could have found:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2465950?start=0&tstart=0

One user in the thread apparently solved the problem by (eventually) receiving a replacement wireless "card":

Another user in the thread suggested using , System Preferences, Internet & Wireless, Network, Assist me, Assistant to create a new location and enter the password.

A temporary solution suggested in the thread would be to turn off the router security, or try WEP or WPA instead of WPA2-PSK(AES).

Not all WiFi router brands and models have the problem. My D-link DIR-655 (an older Draft-n model) has always worked flawlessly with multiple Apple WiFi devices, game systems, and Windows computers.

Apr 16, 2012 7:01 PM in response to kostby

Dear Kostby,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I actually do appreciate your assistance. A few notes.

1) I had already read the thread you sent me to. It didn't help. Perhaps because this really isn't my problem. My problem seems to be that the security option WPA2-PSK (AES) doesn't even show up in the choices on what seems to be the appropriate menu on the MacBook. The only choice is WPA2 Personal. When I enter the password, it says "The password you entered is invalid." It's a perfectly valid password. It doesn't seem to be paired up to the correct thing. I tried all of the security types with the same result.

I did try the solutions mentioned, but they all end with the same result: password you entered is invalid. Since I have the laptop, next to the PC and the PC is logged into the router, and I'm staring right at the screen where I set the password, I'm pretty sure I know what it is. Someone mentioned that in the old days the Apple password would actually be something different. Could this be? Both the computer and router date to 2009. Is that the old days?

2) I did use a "popular search engine". Quite a few times. I followed numerous threads. Many problems seemed similar but in the end turned out a little different. Most gave me ideas and I tried them. No success. After stumbling on this forum, I gave it a try.

3) The wireless works when the security is turned off. I'd like to have the security turned on. I'd like to have the "recommended" security setting of WPA2-PSK (AES). I'm looking for a solution.

4) Before getting all defensive about my user name, perhaps it would be good to find out how/why it came to be? Or, just go ahead and jump to conclusions. I think the post itself was politely worded.

Thanks again for your effort. I really do appreciate that.

Need Help Connecting to Wireless Router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.