Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Western Digital Drive Won't Mount on Desktop

I have a Western Digital 2 TB MyBook Studio II external drive that has been working fine. Now, it will not show on my desktop when it mounts. It does show in the sidebar and I can access the drive and files there, but I want the icon to show on the desktop. I connect it to my machine via an onboard Firewire 800 port, and the drive is the only device using that port. I have another Western Digital MyBook drive that mounts just fine (it is my Time Machine backup) via USB. I have 2 La Cie Firewire drives, and 2 OWC Firewire 400 drives, all 4 of which mount using a Firewire 400 hub that connects to a Firewire 400 port on my MacBook Pro.

I have repaired the disk (reports nothing is wrong), but I feel I have some setting for the drive in the wrong position. I just can't figure out what to do.

Ideas and suggestions would be most helpful.

wncmacs

MacBook Pro 2.5 Ghz., Mac OS X (10.6.8), 4 Gb of RAM

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 12:21 PM

3 replies

Apr 15, 2012 6:36 PM in response to David Biddix

David Biddix wrote:

My drives are set to show on the desktop and all of them do except for my WD MyBook Studio II. It shows up in the sidebar, but its icon does not show on the desktop.

Could it be that its icon is hidden by another icon on the desktop? You could try View > Clean Up (but, if you have a finely tuned icon arrangement on your desktop, this will probably ruin it), or type quickly the first characters in its name.

Western Digital Drive Won't Mount on Desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.