Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is there a lag, image jerky?

Although streaming via regular AirPlay (not using mirroring) from my iPad to Apple TV works perfectly, when I use mirroring, the video and audio can appear jerky, and there is a noticeable lag. What can I do to resolve this?

iPad 2, iOS 5.1

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 12:20 PM

8 replies

Apr 15, 2012 12:30 PM in response to yoel69

Mirroring by its very nature cannot buffer like basic AirPlay does because it needs to reflect what is on your iPad screen, therefore it depends on a better network than basic AirPlay. Your network is not good enough and needs improving. Your problem might be signal strength due to distance or you might be suffering from interference.

Apr 15, 2012 3:01 PM in response to yoel69

Have you checked for interference.

Intermittent problems are often a result of interference. Interference can be caused by other networks in the neighbourhood or from household electrical items.

You can download and install iStumbler (NetStumbler for windows users) to help you see which channels are used by neighbouring networks so that you can avoid them, but iStumbler will not see household items.

Refer to your router manual for instructions on changing your wifi channel or adjusting your multicast rate.

There are other types of problems that can affect networks, but this is by far the most common, hence worth mentioning first.

Jul 31, 2012 1:15 PM in response to Winston Churchill

hi, nice to meet you all.i seem to have a similar problem.

i am using a macbook pro late 2011, 2.2Gh, 4Gb RAM to stream internet videos directly to a 3rd gen apple tv. i have close to 30mpbs download speed and 5mbps upload speed. however, i found that there is too much lag, making the whole experience quite unbearable.

do you think this problem is caused by ℹ low upload speed (does my computer upload the movie to the apple tv?) i found that the video plays just fine in my mabook pro and it seems to download faster than the actual play time for the movie...; (ii) low RAM (although i really dont think that is it, the computer seems fast enough for other more complicated tasks; (iii) something else

Jul 31, 2012 6:33 PM in response to marujera

Hi marujera, your internet speed does not determine lag, the lag is caused by something in networking called "latency". Since your screen has to be streamed to the Apple TV in real time, there will be a little lag to deliver the display to your TV in a timely manner.

In an effort to minimize this using airplay mirroring, connect an ethernet cable directly from your macbook to your router and another ethernet cable from your Apple TV to your router, latency is a huge disadvantage when using wi-fi, which also makes wi-fi a poor choice for online games and the like.

Why is there a lag, image jerky?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.