Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

does the airport extreme support vpn

Can the airport extreme support VPNS?

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 12:48 PM

5 replies

Dec 21, 2013 10:23 PM in response to Shymkent

Yes, but don't use vpn service.. use a dns service.

eg Unblockus or unodns

Then you simply set the dns values directly into the airport extreme.

You can also do it directly on the apple TV.. unlike roku etc which do not allow dns fixing, the Apple TV has access to setting up the dns.

Each of those services has a help page that should include settings for apple routers.

They are particularly good at it.

The only places you need vpn is where the service might be blocked in the local country.

For VPN I strongly advise using the exact router the service recommends.. which will have vpn client built in.. do not use apple router for that job.

Most use dd-wrt firmware on a simple Linksys or the like.. but look it up.. it is much easier to get support if you use exactly the hardware and settings the vpn server provider tells you.

Dec 22, 2013 1:39 PM in response to Shymkent

Do you think using the DNS services on my new Airport Extreme will secure my LAN?

I was getting ready to return my new AEBS.

Secure links are done with vpn.. but for streaming TV who cares.. you don't get hacked from a streaming TV.. any more or less than a normal ISP DNS.

Your LAN is secured by NAT.. which is a natural firewall.. although it is about time Apple started using SPI firewalls like most router companies.

does the airport extreme support vpn

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.