Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iDVD no themes (more info inside)

So I did not recieve iDVD with my new iMac, so i thought i could get around this by saving the iDVD program from my older Macbook, to an External HD and load/install it on my new iMac. it installed and opens when propted, but when i try to expot a video from iMovie or just create a new project through iDVD, it's telling me there are no themes. so i then went back to my old Macbook and save the themes, loading them on to my iMac, but im still running in to the same error message, saying there are no themes. when i try to click "find themes", it opens a finder window and i can can selcte a them, but it will not open a new project.

so is there away around this? I've contacted apple, trying to get a copy of iDVD, but i havnt heard back from them over the past 3-4 months. can anyone help me out? iDVD was my goto for small projects and i upgraded to the iMac to handle the size of the HD video i shoot, but now i cant burn any iDVD's.

and another question while im here, is there another option with in iMovie that will burn DVD's that can be read on a DVD player? i currently only burn inder MP4 which plays on PS#'s and any computer, but when popped into a true DVD player, it will not read the disc.

any help is MUCH appreciated!!

Thanks!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 2:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 2:43 PM

Your second question first: if you don't have a well functioning iDVD, you will need a different authoring/encoding software in order to watch them using a DVD player such as Toast - there are others, some free, but none have the cool themes iDVD does.

Now, as for iDVD: I would suggest you do some searching online - there are online sellers as well as Amazone and ebay where you can still get a retail iLife 11 disk that contains iDVD. I bought one just to have one in case I need to reinstall. Problem 2: I tried moving the themes once and it did not work; also, the iDVD version (7.x) included in that iLife 11 is an update, so there needs to be an older version installed (iLife 08 had all the iDVD themes but you have to use custom install and check them or they won't be installed). I happen to have all the iLife retail disks, and it's a pain of sorts when you need to reinstall, but there is no alternative. So, I'd suggest to get both versions - you can probably have the old one very reasonably - do you have install disks for your old version (and which version is it?) if you do, just use those.

What is included nowadays with iMacs are three separate apps, but to make it confusing, Apple still calls it "iLife".

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2012 2:43 PM in response to Mike Y.

Your second question first: if you don't have a well functioning iDVD, you will need a different authoring/encoding software in order to watch them using a DVD player such as Toast - there are others, some free, but none have the cool themes iDVD does.

Now, as for iDVD: I would suggest you do some searching online - there are online sellers as well as Amazone and ebay where you can still get a retail iLife 11 disk that contains iDVD. I bought one just to have one in case I need to reinstall. Problem 2: I tried moving the themes once and it did not work; also, the iDVD version (7.x) included in that iLife 11 is an update, so there needs to be an older version installed (iLife 08 had all the iDVD themes but you have to use custom install and check them or they won't be installed). I happen to have all the iLife retail disks, and it's a pain of sorts when you need to reinstall, but there is no alternative. So, I'd suggest to get both versions - you can probably have the old one very reasonably - do you have install disks for your old version (and which version is it?) if you do, just use those.

What is included nowadays with iMacs are three separate apps, but to make it confusing, Apple still calls it "iLife".

Nov 15, 2013 4:02 AM in response to babowa

Hello Babowa,

I have a similar problem with an unfunctional IDVD. I never really used it except one time and it took a clip I had of my mom when she excited about some new shoes a friend got her and to watch the clip with the music playing in the background... It was literally the nicest thing that I ever saw... Its an old and all too familiar story where people lose some of the nicest or most important pictures, poems or creations... essays... research... to silly little mistakes with software interface or proprietary entanglements between companies... I noticed there are some ILife 08 packages for sale on Amazon. The theme I was hoping to reactivate was one that had a spinning flower... I'll include a pic... I guess I have to buy 08 and then use my ILife 11 too? Any advice on how to get that theme running again so I can finalize a movie of it? Also, I have not tried to reload ILife 11 again yet. Should I try this first? I just don't know why it doesn't work any more.

Greatly appreciate your help with this,

Brian

P.S. It's not letting me upload an image here so I'll just add that it was a theme with a spinning flower on a background of growing vines and undulating hills passing by in the deeper background... that's as much as I remember it (green vines and yellow flowers) Thanks again. -B

iDVD no themes (more info inside)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.