Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Signatures not working correctly

I have noticed several irritating problems with Mail Signatures. One - when adding a new signature, it is put into the lineup out of order. I have to drag it down to the bottom of the list. Two- I have it set Mail to randomly select a signature ( can no longer even find this feature), but it keeps selecting a few and rotating through them, as if on a loop. Three - when typing a new e-mail, I have attempted to add the signature of my choice manually, but my list will only extend to 42 signatures only. I have 59. Anybody else have these problems?

G5, Mac OS X (10.4.4), 1.8 GHz 1GB

Posted on Mar 3, 2006 8:01 AM

4 replies

Mar 4, 2006 6:52 AM in response to David Gimeno Gost

They all appear when I click on each e-mail account (undeer Account/Preferences), so how does one "set" each one for each account? Also, they are set for "sequential, "but as I said, they only rotate between a few. I have the same 42 displayed for each e-mail on the pull down menu on each account. The remaining 17 do not appear, and will not scroll down past #42.

Mar 4, 2006 12:00 PM in response to macgranny

I have it set Mail to randomly select a signature
( can no longer even find this feature),

It's one of the options in the Choose Signature popup menu that appears at the bottom of the Preferences > Signatures window. To make this popup menu active you must have an account selected in the list on the left. It seems that you cannot change this setting globally for all accounts AFAIK, you must change it for one account at a time.

but it keeps selecting a few
and rotating through them, as if on a loop.

Maybe the option chosen in the Choose Signature popup for that account is "In Sequential Order" instead of "At Random".

when typing a new e-mail, I have attempted to add the
signature of my choice manually, but my list will
only extend to 42 signatures only. I have 59.

Since you say Mail does show all signatures when the account is selected in Preferences > Signatures, I suspect you're encountering some kind of corruption in Mail's signatures database. I would try this:

1. Quit Mail.

2. Delete the Signatures folder in Home/Library/Mail/ (or just move it to the desktop). If you have a Signatures.plist file in Home/Library/Mail/ I would delete that as well.

3. Recreate the signatures in Mail from scratch.

BTW, you're not alone, see Mail Signatures Suck.

iMac G5 17" (iSight) Mac OS X (10.4.4)

Signatures not working correctly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.