Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using existing DVI to Component Video adapters with the New Mini

The Intel web site for the Intel GMA 950 ( http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/gma950/) looks promising saying that it has the following display capabilities:

Up to 2048x1536 resolution for both analog and digital displays
Consumer Electronic display (Digital TV) support
Display hot plug support to automatically detect new display connection while system is operating (CRT and DVI)
Two Serial Digital Video Out (SDVO) ports for flat-panel monitors and/or TV-out support via Advanced Digital Display 2 (ADD2) cards or Media Expansion Cards
Intel Media Expansion Cards available providing TV-out and PVR capability
Multiple display types (LVDS, DVI-I, DVI-D, HDTV, TV-out, CRT)
Dual screen support through ADD2 digital video devices
HDTV 480i/p, 576i/p, 720i/p and 1080i/p display resolution support
Interlaced Display output support
16x9 and 16x10 Aspect Ratio for widescreen displays
2x2 Panel Scaler

My question is, could I buy a DVI-I breakout adapter cable ( http://www2.dvigear.com/noname4.html) and connect the Mac Mini's DVI output to my TV's analog component video input and expect a decent resolution display? Alternatively, could I get a cheap adapter that allows me to connect the DVI output to the TV's digital HD component video input ( http://www.svideo.com/hdtvaiwr8500.html)?

Mac Mini (Intel), Mac OS X (10.4.5)

Posted on Mar 3, 2006 8:03 AM

3 replies

Mar 3, 2006 10:00 AM in response to Anthony Shortland

Good post...another Intel page that's helpful is this one:

http://www.intel.com/design/mobile/gma950.htm

They specifically call out component video support. I just don't know if Apple wired the 950 up to take advantage of component video support (or if they even need to). It may just be a matter of driver software.

I'd be careful with buying DVI to component video adapters unless you don't mind wasting the $30. It's not as easy as plugging in an adapter and expecting it to work. Most straight DVI to component adapters won't work for this application (so I've heard). For example, ATI has a DVI to component video adapter, but it takes some configuration (dip switches on the adapter) to work, and it doesn't work with all of their graphics cards (and I'm 99% sure it ONLY works with ATI cards). It works with Radeon 9500 and above, and the last mini had a 9200 in it...does Apple have something against component video? I would have bought a mini a year ago if Apple would nave used the 9500 instead of the 9200. Rats.

Mar 3, 2006 5:16 PM in response to Macco1

Even with a 9500 it still wouldn't work. I think it's a driver issue, we just don't have the ability added to our drivers that PC users do. Take a look at the ATI page for their DVI > Component adapter, it specifically lists the "Mac and PC version" card and says that the adapter can only be used by PC users.

I tried one of these with my new MacBook, I wasn't able to get anything out of it but a really messed up looking screen at 640x480. All the other settings didn't work at all.

Mar 4, 2006 2:29 PM in response to Trellame

Agreed about the ATI adapter - but that's yesterday's story.

I guess we're waiting for someone to try at least the break-out cable on the new Mac-Mini. It's a shame that Apple doesn't cover this requirement in their documentation - even by just confirming that we shouldn't expect it to work!

Many of us "early-adopter" types are stuck with HD TVs that only have component inputs after all ... I promised my wife I'd keep it for 5 years and I'm only halfway there!

Using existing DVI to Component Video adapters with the New Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.