Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone ever use Carbon Copy Cloner?

Hi all, need advice on speeding up my iMac 2007 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz, at least until the new iMacs come out very soon. Here's my situation. My Time Capsule recently filled up, necessitating purchase of a LaCie 2 TB external storage device. I've only used it for regular Time Machine backups since I took it out of the box yesterday, but would love to (if possible) use this puppy for all it's worth...perhaps taking some of the storage strain off my iMac, which currently has L2 Cache of 4MB and Memory of just 2GB. Gah, I know. And a wee 800 MHz processor. So what can I do to help speed this baby up? A friend mentioned Carbon Copy, but what do I do? I realize my new LaCie could eat my iMac's storage for lunch, but I don't want to mess anything up. Where do I start? Do I move photos over? Create partitions? Transfer everything over and start from scratch, slowly adding things back to my iMac, bit by bit? Someone please help. It's Sunday late afternoon here...would like to start Monday rarin' to go with a blazing-fast computer.

iMac 20, Mac OS X (10.7.1), Time Capsule, AirPort Express

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 2:38 PM

12 replies

Apr 15, 2012 3:50 PM in response to Ima Writer

Ima Writer wrote:

Someone please help. It's Sunday late afternoon here...would like to start Monday rarin' to go with a blazing-fast computer.

You probably will not see much if any improvement or difference in speed, doing any of the above unless your Hard Drive is over 80% full.

The best way to speed things up, is to upgrade the RAM from 2GB to either 4 or 6GB.

see > Upgrade Apple iMac Memory & more – Easy Guide, Free Installation Videos.

Apr 15, 2012 6:08 PM in response to Ima Writer

Run your iMac normally for a about an hour or so and then check your Activity Monitor > Using Activity Monitor to read System Memory and determine how much RAM is being used

If your low on both Free and Inactive with a high number of Page outs: then you need to upgrade the poor things RAM.

Also for kicks, see > 25 Ways to Speed Up Your Mac | Mac|Life

Anyone ever use Carbon Copy Cloner?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.