Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop MBP from going to sleep when closing the lid

I have an old MBP laying around that is not worth selling due to a number of little issues it has. However, it still functions just fine and, I think, would make an excelent server. However, there is one small issue: If I close the lid, it will go to sleep.

I've tried using a few different apps, InsomniaX and Caffiene being two of the more popular ones, but so far nothing seems to take. I know I can do this with the use of an external monitor or mouse, but I don't want to have to keep a mouse plugged in simply so my server can run and I don't have, or want, to set up a monitor for it.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how I can make my MBP behave as I'd like?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), MacBook Pro 2,2

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 3:08 PM

6 replies

Apr 15, 2012 3:17 PM in response to pennbank

That's one of a few solutions I've considered. I've also considered just running Ubuntu Server on it and having it run completely command line, in which case lid open or closed it makes no difference.

I would prefer to stick with OS X if I could, however, as I'm much more familiar with it and how it works.

Apr 15, 2012 3:26 PM in response to Doug_S

Let me delve deeper.

When the lid goes down, the hardware sends the OS a signal for sleep. Unless something impedes this (hung program, a fairly common thread subject, owner closes Mac, sticks it in case, walks away, later discovers overheated Mac with very dead battery) or an external mouse & keyboard is attached (wired or Bluetooth), sleep is inevitable. Another reason for sleep is a drained battery, and that condition is not ignorable.

If the OS doesn't know about the sleep signal, such as if on Linux, sleep won't happen. But shutting down the display would be an appropriate action anyway.

Stop MBP from going to sleep when closing the lid

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.