Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard Drive Partition Space Lost

I have a 17 inch MBP running Lion and Windows 7 with a boot camp partition. My mac side has 500GB of space, and my windows 7 partition has 250GB. Recently I shrunk my disk space on the windows 7 partition by going to Control Panel->searching "partition" and shrinking it, so now my boot camp partition has 132GB. However, I thought that space was going to be moved to my Mac OS X partition, but it didn't. Where is that memory space? It can't be flat out lost, can it? I also tried expanding it back but I can't click that option. It's greyed out. Help is greatly appreciated, I really do not want to lose those 118gigs. I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but I really need it. Thanks.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 15, 2012 7:09 PM

28 replies

Apr 15, 2012 9:05 PM in response to WatchYourKILLCAM

At this point I can't give you a definitive answer. You cannot remove it with Boot Camp Assistant anymore. Windows disk management tool does not understand the Mac's GPT partition structure, so I cannot begin to tell you what you can do at this point. Were I dealing with it directly I would just be doing trial and error (and hoping you had backups.)

I would assume that you have indeed shrunk the original partition down to 123 GBs, but I don't know if the other 100 GBs has been deallocated and it's unlikely that OS X' Disk Utility will now be able to handle the drive properly. It's likely that you still have the original 232 GB partition and merely shrunk it but did not release the space to make another partition.

In any event you cannot simply shrink a partition and have the space allocated magically to some other partition on the drive unless you are using specialized software such as the iPartition 3.4.1 that can actually move partitions anywhere.

Apr 16, 2012 6:48 AM in response to WatchYourKILLCAM

Only windows (generally) will see the two partitions where you had Windows only.

Adding a partition beyond where Windows goes can be done.

The way to 'give' Mac OS space though is through CampTune - and maybe iPartition (never used it so cannot comment but some people use it - seems to depend on the expertise of the user and their planning).

Apr 16, 2012 9:55 AM in response to The hatter

Actually it's just a matter of deleting the superfluous Windows partitions using GPT fdisk (gdisk), and the resizing the Mac OS HFS+ volume using 'diskutil resizevolume <dev> <size>'.

First round command to find the maximum size possible is:

diskutil resizevolume /dev/diskXsY limits

then use

diskutil resizevolume /dev/diskXsY <size>

where <size> is in G or T, matching the maximum size possible returned by the first command. Both commands can be used while the computer is booted from the target volume, although it may be best to reboot after altering the partition map, before resizing.

Apr 16, 2012 10:58 AM in response to The hatter

I'm not suggesting killing the whole GPT, but editing it just to remove his extra Window(s) partitions such that he has unallocated/free space instead.

GPT fdisk (gdisk) is expressly designed for creating, manipulating, and fixing GPTs. This includes verifying the validity of the primary and secondary tables using the checksum in the two headers. And resolving any disconnect/ambiguity between the two tables. By default, it will also create a new protective MBR entry.

Removing individual entries from the GPT is a piece of cake. It's a little baffling why Disk Utility won't let us do this when volumes in those partitions aren't presently mounted. *shrug* but that's the way it has always been it seems. We've always been told we have to completely repartition from scratch and reload all our software and it's just totally false.

Apr 17, 2012 2:50 AM in response to Christopher Murphy

This is what happened when I typed in what you said:

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss

or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your

typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:

What is this for? I would also like to clarify that it doesn't show up as unallocated space. Are you guys able to see the Disk Management.tiff I attached to the original post?

Apr 17, 2012 2:59 AM in response to WatchYourKILLCAM

sudo is privilege escalation, required to run the gpt program on an active disk. The -r flag is read only so it is not going to lead to data loss. 'show' is going to display the GPT partition table. And /dev/disk0 is presumably your internal hard drive, the drive in question you are asking about.

I am not able to see the tiff you attached.

Apr 17, 2012 3:07 AM in response to Christopher Murphy

okay, here it is:

gpt show: /dev/disk0: Suspicious MBR at sector 0

start size index contents

0 1 MBR

1 1 Pri GPT header

2 32 Pri GPT table

34 6

40 409600 1 GPT part - C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B

409640 976562496 2 GPT part - 48465300-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC

976972136 1269536 3 GPT part - 426F6F74-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC

978241672 1912

978243584 486903808 4 GPT part - EBD0A0A2-B9E5-4433-87C0-68B6B72699C7

1465147392 1743

1465149135 32 Sec GPT table

1465149167 1 Sec GPT header

I also cannot see the .tiff if I just click on it, I don't know why but if you right click and save it you can see it.

Hard Drive Partition Space Lost

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.