9 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2012 5:53 AM by Bilbo_cheshire
Tamvong Level 1 Level 1

I have a 60 gig iPod classic and nothing happens when I click on the sync button in iTiunes. The device is recognized in the "Summary" page but I cannot sync with my laptop. I am using Windows 7 and iTuunes 10.6.1.7.

Thanks

Solved by Bilbo_cheshire on Apr 29, 2012 7:24 AM Solved

Most likely, your iPod was sync to another iTunes library, in AutoSync mode.

In the Music Tab, you should just tick 'Selected playlist"

The Manually Manage option is on the Summary tab. highlighted in yellow, which I normally use to add music without erasing the whole iPod.

• Bilbo_cheshire Level 4 Level 4

Perhaps, this Apple iTunes tutorial may hel[p.

http://support.apple.com/kb/VI72

Have a nice day!

• Tamvong Level 1 Level 1

Thanks Bilbo but when I click on the "Music" tab the option to manually sync is greyed out and the only option I have is to automatically replace everything on my iPod.

Also, I cannot access other content on my iPod. I used it as a back-up storage device and although this shows up as "Other" in iTunes it does not show up on Windows Explorer

Thanks

Most likely, your iPod was sync to another iTunes library, in AutoSync mode.

In the Music Tab, you should just tick 'Selected playlist"

The Manually Manage option is on the Summary tab. highlighted in yellow, which I normally use to add music without erasing the whole iPod.

As for your WinExplorer, question, You should put your backup in the iPod, under Disk mode, then you would remember which folder in the iPod you put it in.

How do you put your backup in the iPod? dragging folder across or used a backup software?

That's great, thanks Bilbo. I was reluctant to go beyond the warning about total syncing but held my breath and got to the manually sync option which works.

I can't remember how I put the back up onto the iPod but I've checked every folder in WinExplorer and find nothing although Itunes shows 16g of "Other"

How do you go into Disk mode?

Thanks

1. Press and hold the Menu and Select buttons for at least six seconds, until the Apple logo appears.
    2. When the Apple logo appears, release the Menu and Select buttons and immediately press and hold the Select and the Play/Pause buttons until the Disk Mode screen appears.
      Illustration of disk mode
    3. Connect the iPod to your computer; the screen on the iPod will should say "Do not disconnect".

Then you can use the iPod as an external portable hardisk.

As for your 16Gb Other, it is most likely some data from a failed Sync Operation, if you cant find some folder in WinExplorer from your previous backup.

1. Press and hold the Menu and Select buttons for at least six seconds, until the Apple logo appears.
    2. When the Apple logo appears, release the Menu and Select buttons and immediately press and hold the Select and the Play/Pause buttons until the Disk Mode screen appears.
      Illustration of disk mode
    3. Connect the iPod to your computer; the screen on the iPod will should say "Do not disconnect".

Then you can use the iPod as an external portable hardisk.

As for your 16Gb Other, it is most likely some data from a failed Sync Operation, if you cant find some folder in WinExplorer from your previous backup.

Thanks again bilbo but nothing happens when I press and hold the Menu and Select buttons.( I held them simultaneously for at least 6 seconds)

If you dont see the Apple logo, then your hold switch, maybe defective, you should not see the red marker, when you do this procedure to put the iPod in Disk mode.