Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't copy text in a preview-document opened in Safari.

Since the last upgrade of safari (I think) I can't copy text in a preview document opened in Safari. Can I adjust anything in the preferences or is there any other solution to get the normal behaviour back?

Safari-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 6:28 AM

11 replies

Apr 16, 2012 6:40 AM in response to tiba

Quit Safari.

Open the Library folder in your home folder as follows:

If running Mac OS X 10.7 or later, hold down the option key and select Go ▹ Library from the Finder menu bar.

If running an older version of Mac OS X, select Go ▹ Go to Folder… from the Finder menu bar and enter “~/Library” (without the quotes) in the text box that opens.

Delete the following items from the Library folder:

Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db

Preferences/com.apple.quicktime.plugin.preferences.plist

Preferences/QuickTime Preferences

Relaunch Safari and test.

Apr 17, 2012 3:42 AM in response to Linc Davis

ok – here my recipe: I open a pdf document in safari,

example:. http://epaper.derbund.ch/pdf/2012_2_BVBU-002-1604.pdf

and then I want to copy a word. I get a beep and there is nothin in the clipboard.

In the mean time I uninstalled Acrobat Reader - result: opening pdf documents in Safari resulted in a black window.

Then i tried to reinstall a earlier version of Safari (first from Time capule, didn't work because you can't delete Safari or move it out of the programs folder. Then I tried to use an earlier version I had on my laptop. Did not work either.

Finally I reinstalled Lion - did not help any. And then I reinstalled Adobe Reader - did not help, but from inside of Adobe Reader I could upgrade to version 10.1.3. Now I can load the pdf-documents but I can still not copy text.

On my laptop I still have Safari 5.1.3 installed and there is no Adobe Reader and there everything works as expected.

I did not pursue the <Click.to.app> uninstallation.

Maybe I should try to make preview the default opener for pdf-documents in Safari, but I did not see how to do this.

Apr 17, 2012 6:13 AM in response to tiba

In the Finder, select Go ▹ Go to Folder... from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-G. Copy the line of text below into the box that opens, and press return:

/Library/Internet Plug-ins/AdobePDFViewer.plugin

If a Finder window opens with that item selected, delete it, then quit and relaunch Safari. Otherwise post again.

Apr 9, 2013 11:59 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc. I've tried all of the above to no avail. I rely heavily on the ability to copy from a web-based database generated PDF into a separate web-based database.

When the (cfm) PDF opens in Safari, I can copy once, and paste, but then, once I paste, I am unable to copy new PDF info from a different report. It continues to paste from the first copy action. Whatever this new functionality is, it really has thrown my workflow into a tailspin. Copying and pasting from Safari PDFs used to be so painless.

Running Safari 6.0.3 on Mac OS 10.7.5

I also recently upgraded Adobe CS which included Acrobat X (10.1.6)

I completed all of the above suggestions. I would like to revert to a mode wherein Acrobat is not meddling in my Safari activity.

Any insights would be heeded. Thanks!

Can't copy text in a preview-document opened in Safari.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.