Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirDisplay not working with my iPad 3rd gen; unable to see each other on network, but can see and ping everything else.

I got a 2012 iPad for my birthday and have been trying to set AirDisplay up with my 2011 MacBook pro, but the two devices cannot see each other on the network. They can, however, still see and ping all the other devices on the network.

Have tried everything and done many google searches but to no avail, does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

MacBook Pro, MacBook pro OSX Lion, iPad 3

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 6:58 AM

9 replies

May 15, 2012 11:47 PM in response to BioWolvie

If Air Display Connect on your Mac doesn't see Air Display on your iPad, that means that ADC's Bonjour advertisement isn't reaching the Mac. That can happen if your iPad and Mac are on different subnets (one's on, say, Wi-Fi and the other on Ethernet, or they're on different Wi-Fi networks). If this is the case, then other Bonjour-based communication (for example our Air Sharing, Print Sharing, or Air Dictate apps) will fail as well. But even in this case, you may be able to connect via the "Connect to Other" item in the Air Display Connect menu. Just select that, and enter the IP address that you see in the connection pane in the Air Display app's Help.

Good luck! And please do come back to avatron.com/support if you have more questions; we don't visit Apple's discussion forums often.

Dave at Avatron

Oct 24, 2013 6:47 AM in response to Avatron

Dave,

I have just downloaded and purchased your software and was able to get it to run on my Mac (Mavericks OS) and iPad 2 just fine. When I attempted to run it on my Windows 7 machine I also got the "air display could not communicate with the display device" error message.

The iPad IS showing up in the airdisplay connect window. I can see the device name.

Both of my devices are on the same network, it is my home network. I have attempted to use the alternate "connect to other" method and that hasn't worked. I've restarted both devices.

I have no 3rd party anti virus software installed. I'm not sure what default virus protections or blocks there are in Win 7 but if those are there and they are blocking me they are doing so by default and I am NOT going to call MS to ask them how to work around this.

I would seem that your support documentation is rather outdated. I searched your site but couldn't find a solution.

I'd love some help.

Dan

Dec 19, 2013 4:37 AM in response to EmpireStateMan

I, too, am having the same problem - the iPad window shows the spinning icon and two "screens" with arrows, suggesting it is trying to connect, but no real connection. the "iPad helper" mirror window shows up on my macbook screen, but nothing on the iPad itself. It used to work fine, but I haven't used it in many months, until now. I am running a first-generation iPad and a late 2008 Macbook Pro.

Apr 14, 2014 3:22 PM in response to BioWolvie

AirDisplay worked on my Mac 3 days ago, then I tried it today and my iPad Air doesn't show up on AirDisplay.

If I put my device IP all I get is:

"air display could not communicate with the display device"

I don't use firewall on my Mac, so this is not the problem.

I'm seeing a lot of people complaining about it since 2013 and I think I wasted my money.

AirDisplay not working with my iPad 3rd gen; unable to see each other on network, but can see and ping everything else.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.