Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

transfering photos onto external hard drive

How do I transfer photos onto an external hard drive from my macbook pro

Thanks

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 8:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 8:28 AM

Make sure the drive is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

1. Quit iPhoto

2. Copy the iPhoto Library from your Pictures Folder to the External Disk.

3. Hold down the option (or alt) key while launching iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library' and navigate to the new location. From that point on this will be the default location of your library.

4. Test the library and when you're sure all is well, trash the one on your internal HD to free up space.

Regards

TD

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2012 8:28 AM in response to ginniefrombroadstairs

Make sure the drive is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

1. Quit iPhoto

2. Copy the iPhoto Library from your Pictures Folder to the External Disk.

3. Hold down the option (or alt) key while launching iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library' and navigate to the new location. From that point on this will be the default location of your library.

4. Test the library and when you're sure all is well, trash the one on your internal HD to free up space.

Regards

TD

Apr 16, 2012 8:29 AM in response to ginniefrombroadstairs

To copy photos to an external drive select them in iPhoto and export to the external drive

To copy your iPhoto library to an external drive that is formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) drag it intact as a single entity to the external drive. This will not work with other drive formats.

To use the external drive for your active library after copying the iPhoto library over depress the option key and launch iPhoto and use the select library command to make it your default library

LN

Apr 16, 2012 8:43 AM in response to ginniefrombroadstairs

Thanks for everyones advice, I have managed to sort it with your help, the problem was that my external drive was not formatted to mac so I have used the one that is for my time machine backup.

What I was trying to do was to take photos from my daughters macbook to mine, is this the only way of doing that or is there an easier way.

Thanks again

Apr 16, 2012 8:58 AM in response to ginniefrombroadstairs

Probably just the photos, we went on holiday and took my daughters macbook so that I could download photos from my iphone, that we took while we were away, just as a precaution in case the phone got damaged and we lost the photos altogether. How do I connect the machines together and use iphoto library managed? sorry to sound so stupid.

My problem is that I am now becoming so confused with iphoto itself, I am not really sure what I am doing, what with the events, photos and faces section and the album section, I suppose I could do with a complete tutorial on how to organise my photos correctly and I might see things a lot more simpler, is there any advice on what section in the apple community that might help me understand iphoto itself.

Mar 5, 2016 2:08 PM in response to LarryHN

Dear Larry HN and other Apple support community Friends, I read through the original post from Ginniefrombroadstairs. I read through the answers including yours which the people kindly provided. I still have no understanding as to what to do. Can you help? I need more basic terminology. (Sorry but I really don't understand the responses.

I don't know what iPhoto is. I have an application named "Photos" on my 2015 MacBook Air. That's all I have. Do I need to purchase another application?

The external drive IS formatted for the Mac OS, so I think have the following comment from you covered: "To copy your iPhoto library to an external drive that is formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) drag it intact as a single entity to the external drive. This will not work with other drive formats."

I don't understand your next comment, which is: "To use the external drive for your active library after copying the iPhoto library over depress the option key and launch iPhoto and use the select library command to make it your default library"

My question is: How do I copy photos from the MacBook Air's Photos application to an external hard drive? How do I select the? How to I find the external hard drive (it is connected and has been formatted and shows itself in "Finder".) I simply don't know the mechanism from dropping them down into the external hard drive (or placing them there, if that is a better term). None of the Help Topics seem to cover that process, as at least as far as I can tell.

I have to move some photos out of the MacBook Air's Photos application onto some sort of external device because I am receiving messages that I cannot add any more. I only have 442 snap shots and that seems low but that is another story.

Steve (SaskatchewanGuy) the application is telling me that I cannot add any more.

May 13, 2016 1:56 AM in response to LarryHN

Hello LarryHN,

You helped me out with a similar question, but now that I have a drive to move from iPhoto (backed up on Time Capsule) to Photos, your response disappeared from my activity, and I can't find it again.

The problem occurred when I switched from Lion to El Capitan. I went back to Lion, to see if I could get iPhoto to run again, but that didn't solve my problem.

I've got a hard drive ready for action...what do I do?

Thanks,

spencejam1, James

May 13, 2016 4:46 AM in response to Yer_Man

Hi - thanks for responding. I found my original question and the response from LarryNH - I'll paste both in and let you respond. Thanks, again.

Spencejam1Apr 4, 2016 5:10 AM

When I switched to Yosemite, I had no idea that my iPhoto library would become inaccessible from my TimeCapsule. I have an older Mac desktop running Mountain Lion. Is there no way to get to my photos from my MacBook Pro?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

from LarryNH:

..To migrate a library the library must be on a drive formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) what is directly connected to the Mac with a fast wired connection lie USB, FireWire or ThunderBolt that is not being used as a TimeMachine backup volume and that is always available prior to launching Photos

Then you open it with Photos by dragging it to the Photos icon in the Dock and letting Photos migrate the library - this keeps all metadata, edits, organization and gives you full quality photos to work with

transfering photos onto external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.