Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

.PDF coming in as Winmail.DAT

Anyone know why all of a sudden friends sending me PDF's get converted to WINMAIL.DAT. I can't open them, what can I check?

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 4:22 PM

7 replies

Jul 20, 2017 10:54 PM in response to Mark6275

Here is a link to the problem with a few solutions

http://www.ryadel.com/en/configure-outlook-to-not-use-winmail-dat-to-send-attach ments/

I found that the registry entry worked 100%

Disable TNEF using the Registry Editor (Forces Disabling Winmail.dat in Outlook)

If all the above method fail, you can resort to entirely remove TNEF by altering your registry settings. It will be a rather harsh way of doing that, and we only suggest it to System Administrator who know what they’re doing. Take in mind that perform this task will also disable each Outlook TNEF-based feature, such as the built-in Voting System and Meeting Manager.

• Close Outlook
  • Launch the Registry Editor from the Start menu by selecting Run, then typing regedit and pressing ENTER.
  • navigate through the following registry key:
    • Outlook 2007: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Preferences
    • Outlook 2010: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Preferences
    • Outlook 2013: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook\Preferences
  • Add a new DWORD entry with the following name: DisableTNEF, and give it a value of 1.
  • Close the Registry Editor.
  • Restart Outlook.

Apr 16, 2012 4:28 PM in response to Mark6275

Mac OS X Mail: What is a winmail.dat attachment?

The attachment means the email was sent from a Microsoft email application (such as Outlook and the Microsoft Exchange Client) and includes rich text information--how fonts, colors and specialized attributes such as underlining or boldface should appear in the email (the attachment doesn't appear in Outlook but does appear in Mail; it may appear in other email applications as a MIME section named "application/ms-tnef")

Avoiding these attachments

To avoid seeing these attachments in the future, you ask the sender to deselect the email's "Send to this recipient in Microsoft rich text format" checkbox or preference setting in mail client before they send the message.

Additional Information

For more information please see this Microsoft support document.

This app may be useful to you: Winmail File Viewer

.PDF coming in as Winmail.DAT

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.