Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't recover password on Mac

I have an iMac 1st generation, it was given to be by a friend who I traded my ps3 for.

I won't make this long but I will be as detailed as possible

When he gave it to me, there was the admin's password on it. Theoretically, he isn't the admin. So I was looking to reset the password/create a new account by holding down the command-s buttons at start up.

I came to find that the computer ignored all start up commands at the start up, even holding down the C and option keys don't work. I have a brand new wired apple keyboard connected.

Later I found that the keyboard driver doesnt start up until AFTER the apple logo appears at startup. I tested this by pressing the caps lock key to utilize the green light indicator to determine whether or not the keyboard was actually on at start up.

Please help. What should I do?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.4)

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 4:43 PM

11 replies

Apr 16, 2012 4:52 PM in response to SylarApple

I hope your friend gave you the install discs. If he did, put it in the optical slot and boot holding down the C key. then go as far as continue, stop there and go to the Menu bar>Utilities>reset password.

If you did not receive the install discs, ask him for them or contact Apple with your serial number and they'll send you the disc for a small fee.

User uploaded file

Apr 17, 2012 8:25 AM in response to MGW

He did give me an install disk, but its the mac os x 10.3 disk, and I can't downgrade can I?...

Even if I could, the mac doesn't recognize any boot commands. I've tried everything from command-s to c boot to safe mode, (shift) but nothing happens. It just boots up like normal.

I almost know that open firmware protection isn't on there because I tried the command for that and not even a prompt comes up.

But then goes back to my original statement about the keyboard driver and how it isn't initialized until after the logo appears during start up which means it's too late to try any commands :/

Apr 17, 2012 8:48 AM in response to SylarApple

It sounds like this new keyboard isn't being fully recognized by the Mac. It's kind of surprising with it being an Apple keyboard but then not everything Apple is backward compatible very far. There's nothing else you can do that I can think of other than try to find a different keyboard that works pre-boot.

There is an admin. acccount on that computer now? Are you using it? If you are, and the System Preferences > Accounts panel is not locked (see padlock at the bottom) you can make yourself a new admin. account.

Apr 17, 2012 12:08 PM in response to SylarApple

"Any" windows usb keyboard should work. The windows key is the command key. The alt key is the option key.

That should get you going. I thought all usb keyboards were the same. I knew some of the "extra" keys were different. Find out something all the time.

If you get into single user mode, you have full access to all those Unix commands.

Robert

Apr 17, 2012 1:20 PM in response to rccharles

You know what else? I was messing around with the keyboard again and everytime I press the volume keys it brings up the dashboard. also none of the other keys at the top work. BUT when I plug it into my mac air, it types just fine and uses the keys as normal and the computer responds normally...

You're right, I do need to use a windows keyboard to make this work

Can't recover password on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.