Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Networking a G5 dual 2.5ghz and a Powerbook G4/550 (Gigabit Ethernet)

I have two macs. A PowerMac G5 dual 2.5ghz with 2 gigs ram. My other one is a Powerbook G4/550 (Gigabit Ethernet)(with PCMCIA Slot). I have the G5 at my desk and the Powerbook upstairs (about 100 feet by walking 40 feet as the crow flies. I have a 115 year old house with unGodly thick mortar walls that make any networking a challenge so I do not want to guess. I want the best networking solution afordability wise and efficiency wise. Mobility is not that big of a deal and speed of data transfer is paramount. I also do not want slow download or transfer speeds on either machine. I don't transfer mush from BIG MAC to small mac but the internet thing (SPEED) is important. I do movie and music editing on both and maintain a web site daily with tons of each on it. Should I wire the thing to avoid slow wireless speeds and what all do I need. I know my laptop (Original Airport) speed is 11mbs. but I can't seem to find any comparison to ethernet wired speeds. I have DSL and no airport card and don't mind wiring if the speed is lots better. Can someone straighten me out or point me to the andwers? Please? indigorob

Power Mc G5 Dual 2.5 and Poerbook (Gigabit Ethernet) G4/550, Mac OS X (10.4.5)

Posted on Mar 3, 2006 11:46 AM

3 replies

Mar 4, 2006 6:58 PM in response to indigorob

If speed is important then you want to run ethernet cable between the computers. The Mac's ethernet (10/100/1000) connector is capable of 10 megabits/second, 100 megabits/second, and 1000 megabits/second (Gigabit Ethernet). The original airport is about 11 megabits/second. The Airport Extreme/Express is 54 megabits/second.

You can easily get at least 100 megabits/second by running wired Ethernet.

Networking a G5 dual 2.5ghz and a Powerbook G4/550 (Gigabit Ethernet)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.