Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my MacBook Pro frozen?

I have a 13" MacBook Pro (Spring 2011) running Mac OS X Lion (10.7.3). I was using Skype (newest version) and all of a sudden the computer froze. The trackpad and buttons are not responding (even the power button). My webcam light is still green and the Apple logo on the back continues to shine even when closed. This has never happened before. How do I unfreeze my computer and what could be the reason it froze?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3), Spring 2011 MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 8:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 8:41 PM

Press and hold the Power button until it shuts off. It takes several seconds.

No idea why it froze. It might never happen again. If it does try to correlate the freeze to something you were doing - obviously if it was Skype it would appear something is wrong with Skype.

4 replies

Dec 10, 2012 9:14 AM in response to JamaicanBMW

JamaicanBMW's case seemed tied with the Skype update. In case anyone else has a similar problem but restarting doesn't fix it, here's what worked in my case:

I had a problem with my MacBook Pro 13" (2012) when the keyboard and trackpad stopped working for seemingly no apparent reason. I discovered that if I plugged in a USB keyboard and mouse, those would work.

When I consulted with Apple Care, they had me reset the PRAM, which did the trick for me. From what I understand, the PRAM is memory that the computer uses to keep basic display and input preferences and info, even when the computer's turned off.

Weeks ago I had installed a 3rd party mouse and keyboard. Even though I wasn't using them when the problem happened, Apple Care said maybe the software accidentally interfered.

To reset the PRAM, I restarted the computer, and when the apple screen came up and the chime happened, I pushed COMMAND+OPTION+P+R (four keys), and waited for it to re-chime a couple times. Then the keyboard & trackpad worked again! See the About NVRAM & PRAM page for details.

Might not be a cure-all, but it helped in my situation.

Why is my MacBook Pro frozen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.