Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Volume Not Working Updated 5.1

my iphone 4 is not working after updated to 5.1 i have my phone about a year and never had any problems with it. then i updated my phone to 5.1 and use it for a while then suddenly the volume dont work no more its not in mute it does not ring or nothing total silence youtube, music, etc...😮 i restore my phone and nothing still the same i try everything and nothing😠. please anyone help me!!!!!

thank You!!!....

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 9:07 PM

16 replies

May 22, 2012 4:22 PM in response to George8254

I have the same problem, but mine started before the 5.1 update. Was working for a week with headphones in, but now it drops out constantly and I have to pull the headphones out and put them back in for it to start working again.
Also when I type the clicking noise cuts in and out. But no problem with my phone ringing.

Has anyone found a solution?

Jun 11, 2012 5:09 AM in response to George8254

I had the same problems and done all the resetting etc with no result. Somebody elsewhere said their phone suddenly worked after docking it at an amplifier or similar. That got me thinking and I cleaned out the socket at the bottom end of the phone with a stiff little brush. It was really full of a lot of dust. Then I plucked in my iphone charger. Tried again and it works🙂.... Don't ask me why. But I guess some combination of the new software and some blocked contact...Much easier to try than this endless resetting with all the consequences.Good luck

Jun 12, 2012 2:19 PM in response to George8254

There appears to be a docking cradle/power charger cable connectivity issue.

When I use the Apple proprietary charging cable I have no problems.

When I use a generic brand cable (still using the Apple power adaptor), I lose the volume slider function, and control of volume.

Same thing happens with certain docking stations.

The situation is identical for my IOS5 ipad and iphone 4s.

Not sure if this adds more light to the problem.

Aug 19, 2012 10:59 AM in response to George8254

We had one of our iphones 4s encounter this too. Did all the above, plus blowing out the input hole with air can, etc. Nothing worked. Called apple support. The phone is less than a year old, so free repair is scheduled next week. We can hear rings, alerts, Siri, but no music without headphones. Hardware issue, so covered by 1 year warranty.

iPhone Volume Not Working Updated 5.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.