Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Firefox notified me of the Java plugin's vulnerability, and suggests I disable it. Will this protect me from being infected by the "FlashBack" trojan?

Firefox notified me of the Java plugin's vulnerability, and suggests I disable it. Will this protect me from infection?

I'm running OS X 10.5.8, and therefore do not have the option to download the Java update for OS X 10.6.

Am I safe, or will I have to update to Snow Leopard to protect myself?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8), MacBook Pro 1,1 32-bit

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 12:56 AM

2 replies

Apr 17, 2012 2:10 AM in response to Edaemus

Edaemus wrote:

Firefox notified me of the Java plugin's vulnerability, and suggests I disable it. Will this protect me from infection?

I'm running OS X 10.5.8, and therefore do not have the option to download the Java update for OS X 10.6.

Am I safe, or will I have to update to Snow Leopard to protect myself?

Thanks.

If you are not already infected (check with F_Secure's Flashback Removal Tool) and you do turn of Java off then, for the present, you are probably safe. Generally you don't need Java (not to be confused with Javascript).

You can disable in the browser you are using and/or more globally using the Java Preferences too (in Utilities), General tab (uncheck the checkboxes).

More new tricks from Flashback

How to check for and disable Java in OS X

Protect Yourself from the Mac OS X Java Vulnerability

If it turns out you need it for some specific application or web site that you trust then turn it on only when running that application or visiting that site. If your work requires Java be enabled then at least disable it in your browsers. If you do need to run Java, be sure that you pick up the the latest Java Software Updates.

If you decide to update to 10.6 you need to update to 10.6.8 in order to install Apple's latest java update.

Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 8

But as I said, with Java off it shouldn't matter.

Firefox notified me of the Java plugin's vulnerability, and suggests I disable it. Will this protect me from being infected by the "FlashBack" trojan?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.