Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best way to convert avi to quicktime?

I have .avi files that originated on a PC, captured using a long-discontinued firewire card (miro DV 300 by Pinnacle). The avi files play fine on the PC, even without the old card installed. I want to convert the files to quicktime, and bring them into final cut pro 7. My eventual goal is to upconvert from DV to HD and output to a DVD.

There are SO MANY software solutions and settings to choose from. It's making me nuts!

Can someone please recommend the best way/settings to covert avi files to quicktime?

Thanks!

Chris

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 11:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 5:21 AM

AVI is just a container and your DV Stream files may not need conversion at all. DV Stream and DVD's use Standard Definition so there is no advantage in trying to increase the dimensions to HD. The quality wouldn't be worth the work.

MPEG Streamclip can "re-wrap" your AVI's into a QuickTime container and the software has "batch export" options. It's also free.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2012 5:21 AM in response to crubeo66

AVI is just a container and your DV Stream files may not need conversion at all. DV Stream and DVD's use Standard Definition so there is no advantage in trying to increase the dimensions to HD. The quality wouldn't be worth the work.

MPEG Streamclip can "re-wrap" your AVI's into a QuickTime container and the software has "batch export" options. It's also free.

Apr 17, 2012 5:35 AM in response to crubeo66

In my experience, .avi files are generally playable with QuickTime Player. If it is playable, after QuickTime Player opens the file, I can select the Export command (under the File menu) and convert it to different "QuickTime" formats and resolutions, such as .m4v and .mov. Note: I'm using QuickTime Player 10.1 under Mac OS X Lion.

I want to convert the files to quicktime, and bring them into final cut pro 7.

You should be able to import the .avi files directly into Final Cut Pro. I don't use Final Cut Pro, but I have imported .avi files into iMovie. If iMovie can do it, I'm sure Final Cut Pro can do it.

Apr 17, 2012 11:16 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk

Thanks, Kirk. So if I follow you, you're saying that if I use something like Magic Bullet Instant HD to convert my DV movie to HD, the results (when dumped to a DVD) will look virtually the same? Do you know if there's any way to 'upconvert' DV footage that already exists as an avi or mov into something of higher resolution?

Also, my orginal movie is 4 x 3 with 'widescreen' bars on the top an bottom. I'm currently using FCP to 'zoom in' on the movie to creat a 16 x 9 mov. It seems to work fine. do you know of anything easier?

Thanks!

Chris

May 8, 2014 1:32 AM in response to crubeo66

AVI (Audio Video Interleaved) is a container format designed by Microsoft to wrap audio and video stream together. The video in AVI file can be compressed by many kinds of codec, such as MJPEG(Motion JPEG), MPEG-1, MPEG-2, DivX, XviD, WMV and others. To play all AVI files, your player must support all of these codecs. So far, no matter you are a Windows user or a Mac user, QuickTime only natively plays AVI files with MJPEG video.

If you are a Mac user, you can install Perain ot make your QuickTime play AVI files.

For Windows users, the best way to play AVI in QuickTime is converting AVI to QuickTime compatible formats.

Here is a guide on how to convert AVI to QuickTime formats to help you.

Give it a try.

Mar 31, 2015 8:23 PM in response to crubeo66

QuickTime supports AVI (Motion JEPG). That is to say if you want to convert AVI M-JEPG, you can directly do the conversion with QuickTime. If not, you need to turn to some converter program like Video Converter. Import AVI movies to the Video Converter, and select MOV as output format. Finally hit the "Convert‘ button to start the conversion. It's quite easy. Here is an article about How to Convert AVI to MOV, you can refer to it.

May 21, 2015 2:26 AM in response to crubeo66

Bigasoft QuickTime Converter is just the ideal AVI to QuickTime Converter for Mac. It can easily convert AVI to QuickTime supported MOV format for playing AVI in QuickTime on Mac with ease. Besides, it also supports converting other video formats including WMV, WTV,MPEG, RMVB, AVCHD, ASF, MOD, TOD, FLV, MKV, DIVX, VP8 and more to QuickTime MOV for playing on QuickTime.

http://www.bigasoft.com/articles/how-to-play-avi-in-quicktime-on-mac.html

Best way to convert avi to quicktime?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.