Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder Not Responding version 10.6.8 MacBook Pro

I was going to delete something in trash and suddenly finder stopped responding. Can anyone help? I don't want to break it... I've thought I should restart the computer or somehow fix it in disk utility... but I don't remember how...

I can still open the other programs just you know, the whole finder not responding...

Please help >_<;

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 11:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 11:51 PM

you can try shutting down by pressing and holding power button for 6-8 sec

or u can try booting in safe boot

turn ur mac on and at the same time press and hold the shift key

once booted in the safe boot you can restart normally

if this doesn't work

[repair the hard drive with Disk Utility| http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1417] before installing the update? If not, I'd suggest you do so now, though if you've got hard drive damage, the damage to your system - done by letting an updater write thousands of files onto a damaged drive - may not be reversible. You could end up having to reinstall. Of course, that assessment is based on the assumption that you have hard drive damage... if you don't, you'll have a different problem.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2012 11:51 PM in response to Badkitty1994

you can try shutting down by pressing and holding power button for 6-8 sec

or u can try booting in safe boot

turn ur mac on and at the same time press and hold the shift key

once booted in the safe boot you can restart normally

if this doesn't work

[repair the hard drive with Disk Utility| http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1417] before installing the update? If not, I'd suggest you do so now, though if you've got hard drive damage, the damage to your system - done by letting an updater write thousands of files onto a damaged drive - may not be reversible. You could end up having to reinstall. Of course, that assessment is based on the assumption that you have hard drive damage... if you don't, you'll have a different problem.

Finder Not Responding version 10.6.8 MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.