Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After upgrade to Aperture 3 last year, combined albums are not recognized

On many events, I work with a second photographer who does his own editing of his raw images. To combine our work in the previous version of Aperture, I would import the other photographer's Aperture project, create Albums within my Aperture project and combine photos from the 2 projects (drop the photos from both projects into the Albums), re-order and edit them as needed.

With the upgrade to Aperture 3, I re-imported the Library/Projects, and the Albums appear but do not include the combined images from second project file? This would mean that I lost all of the hours spent re-ordering 8-10 events will need to be re-done for a final export.

Has anyone else experienced this issue, and is there any way around having to re-do all of that work?

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 2:54 AM

6 replies

Apr 17, 2012 8:06 AM in response to Liz Ligon

Hello Liz Ligon,

can you please elaborate a little bit more on what you did? I am not not quite sure if I understand your issue correctly. Let's see, if I got you right:

• You have an Aperture Library containing your current project - let's call this "library 1", and this was created using Aperture 2.
  • Then you import another Aperture Library - let's call it "library 2" - into "library 1" and edit the images and create albums, all this done in Aperture 2.
  • Now you upgrade to Aperture 3 and "re-imported the Library/Projects" - this I do not understand:
    • Which libraries ("library 1", "library 2" ?) exactly did you import and into which library did you import to?
    • Why did you reimport any of the libraries you already had combined? Was the library with the combined projects and the edited albums not longer available? This looks to me like you started all over again with the initial, unedited libraries?
    • and the Albums appear but do not include the combined images from second project file

Do the albums include the images from your first library "library 1"? How do the images from the second library appear? Are those the unedited images?

You see, I am still a little bit confused about what you have done and why.

Regards

Léonie

Apr 18, 2012 6:09 AM in response to léonie

Thanks for the reply.

So yes, I created a Library 1 and 2 in Aperture 2 ("project" files, not "libraries").

I created albums within Library 1 that combined images from both Library 1 and Library 2, re-ordered them, etc. Before exporting those albums into the final format needed, I upgraded to Aperture 3.

Aperture 3 contained no projects from the previous version of Aperture 2. To continue working on those previous Libraries, I imported those project files.

So now I can view all the edited images in Library 1, and I can view all the edited images in Library 2.

I can also view the albums I created within Library 1; however none of the images from Library 2 appear in those albums.

So all of the work that was done to combine those images and put them in a certain order appears to be gone. Does this sound correct? Did I lose that work? (which is the case for about 8-10 different projects)

Thanks so much for your help!

Liz

Apr 18, 2012 8:18 AM in response to Liz Ligon

Liz,

when you view your first Library 1 with the combined album that appears to be empty, what is the number of items beside the album?

(to turn on the display of the number of items open the Aperture Preferences and enable "Show number of versions for projects and albums in the "Appearence" tab).

User uploaded file

This will tell you, if the versions from your second project really are not included in the library or are only hidden.

Do you see your project from the second library when you click on the projects view button or is the second project missing entirely?

If the second project is there but looks empty, and if the album has more image versions than shown, then look at the search fields and check, if you have any filters set that hide the images. The search field in the Brower pane should show "Showing All", the search field in the Library Inspector should show "All items".

Are your master images referenced or managed? And if they are referenced, did you move your libraries/projects recently? Can it be that your images from the second project are not included in the first library beause they are referenced and on an external drive?

Regards

Léonie

Apr 30, 2012 3:58 AM in response to léonie

Hi Léonie,

Both projects appear - ("All items" is showing in the Search Field). So in my list of projects, I can see both Library 1 and Library 2, and the photos within each project. The master images are referenced correctly to the external drives where they are located.

But the Library 1 Albums ONLY include the photos from Library 1, not the combined photos that took so many hours of work to organize. When I "Show Number", that number next to that album reflects only the photos from Library 1, not the number of combined photos from both Libraries.

Any other ideas as to why the upgrade would not recognized the full albums created? It seems to have wiped clean thousands of hours of work and has delayed getting final photos out to so many clients so any help you can give me would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much for taking the time to look into this for me,
Liz

Apr 30, 2012 8:43 AM in response to Liz Ligon

@anybody? Can someone who has more exprerience with migrating from Aperture 2 to 3 please also look into this?

@liz, I have to think about this - how is your backup situation? Would it be possible to start over again with the Aperture 2 libraries? Do you still have the original Aperture 2 libraries and a working Aperture 2 application?

Apr 30, 2012 9:34 AM in response to léonie

Hi,

Is it possible to run both Aperture 2 and 3 separately?

I have most of the project files in the Aperture 2 library backed up, though 1 or 2 projects cannot be copied because of a corruption of some kind so I had hoped to avoid erasing and starting from scratch as I still may need to access them some day.

But if switching back to Aperture 2 will then affect the new libraries I've worked on in Aperture 3, then I am not sure I want to do that?

Either way, I would need a few days to double check all backups of 2 and 3 to be safe.

Thanks!

After upgrade to Aperture 3 last year, combined albums are not recognized

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.