Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does the new ipad show fingerprints?

I taught the new ipad was supposed to of counteract the fingerprint marks on the screen?

Anyone know of really good screen protectors so i can get rid of them marks for good 😕

iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi, iOS 5.1

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 5:37 AM

8 replies

Apr 17, 2012 5:48 AM in response to tomcolgan

The visibility of grease causing fingerprints on the iPad varies from use to user's skin type, to 101 other reasons but there's no way to get rid of them 100% especially for people who have slightly greasy skin.

If you're looking for screen protectors that reduce fingerprints, look for matte textured protectors. They're sometimes known as anti-glare screen protectors, not sure if this is the exact term. However, matte protectors will reduce display quality due to refraction of light causing blue/green/red micro grains to form especially on a white screen. This is barely visible and it doesn't irk everyone.

2 screen protectors I'd recommend looking at, for matte ones.

1. Moshi iVisor
  2. Powersupport

Apr 17, 2012 5:52 AM in response to tomcolgan

A screen protector will not eliminate fingerprints. Just make it a bit easier to clean.

Everything you touch leaves a fingerprint. Touch a mirror and you'll see your fingerprint.

Here's what Apple recommends:

Use a soft, slightly damp, lint-free cloth. Avoid getting moisture in openings. Don’t use window cleaners, household cleaners, aerosol sprays, solvents, alcohol, ammonia, or abrasives to clean iPad. iPad has an oleophobic coating on the screen; simply wipe iPad’s screen with a soft, lint-free cloth to remove oil left by your hands. The ability of this coating to repel oil will diminish over time with normal usage, and rubbing the screen with an abrasive material will further diminish its effect and may scratch your screen.

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Jun 14, 2012 10:16 PM in response to tomcolgan

I had the same problem with my ipad. I bought a screen protector from Zagg hopping that it would make it a bit better. But it was even worse with the orange peel effect on the protector... which made my ipad look that much messier with my fingerprints.

After researching for awhile hoping for a better product to protect my ipad, I came across someone talking about a brand name Skinpea. I took the chance and purchased from Skinpea... It made a BIG difference.

First, Skinpea's screen protector was ANTI RIPPLY with NO ORANGE PEEL.

Secondly, the screen was very smooth and clean. I can already tell by touching it that the quality was very well made and felt safe putting it on my brand new ipad.

Ofcourse, you can't get rid of your fingerprints 100%, but i can tell you that the fingerprint issue got better than not having the protector.

I'm Skinpea all the way now, I got it for my phone and my mothers new phone.

Hope it helped.

Jun 18, 2012 11:18 AM in response to Wilson88

I totally agree with Wilson on Skinpea quality.

It was recommended by a friend who I had recently complained to about Zagg's orange peel effect. This isn't just limited to Zagg though.. no matter what screen protector I bought, it ALWAYS had these ugly ripples or lines running accross the whole screen.

Before running out to buy Skinpea at their online store, I did ALOT of research as well and it turns out there were only favorable things about it. GOD WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Like Wilson says, you can really tell they have a quality product. It just feels and looks good--no orange peel!!!

I'm Skinpea all the way too, mate.

PS: I think it does help with the smudges too. The best smudge-proof screen protectors are the matte ones, but they drastically lower visibility. Not recommended. Trust me, just get Skinpea.

Jun 18, 2012 12:02 PM in response to tomcolgan

There is an alternative screen protector that you can buy that is actually made of glass. (I do not work for this company and I haven't tried one myself but they get pretty good reviews). http://www.spigen.com/spigen-sgp-the-new-ipad-4-lte-wifi-screen-protector-glas-t -premium-tempered-glass.html

It has an oleophobic coating to help reduce finger prints and it is supposed to feel just like the actual screen because it is made of glass.

I have read reviews that say it is very easy to install and few that have complained that the adhesive may not be the best. But it is an alternative.

Jul 1, 2012 3:27 PM in response to Thom_D

Dude that thing is like $70 and doesn't even have back and side protection.

I got my skinpea for literally half that for my ipad. http://www.skinpea.com/Apple_New_iPad_3_Screen_Protector_p/apple-016.htm

And no, I don't work for them either. I just can't stop blabbing about how good it is. here's a comparison photo for the skeptics: http://www.skinpea.com/aboutus.asp

Why does the new ipad show fingerprints?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.