Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone SIM lock/unlock status

Hello, is it possible that Apple give us this information by an online software or something like that, because with all other mobiles this information is easy to have. This information has never been available, I find that is a major mistake from Apple.

I currently have no other Microsim Card to insert into my iPhone 4S.

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 7:19 AM

13 replies

Apr 17, 2012 7:43 AM in response to seyed76

Are you referring to a phone being carrier locked, that is, locked to a specific carrier's network? If so, there is no way to tell from the phone directly (which in my experience is the case with most phones, not just the iPhone - that is, there's nothing on a phone itself that tells you it is carrier locked or not).

I suppose you could try calling Apple support. give them the serial number and ask - but I don't know if that would do any good.

You really need to ask the seller if it is carrier locked, and to which carrier. Then, if you do not want to use that carrier, you will have to contact them about unlocking it (Apple merely processes unlock requests that it receives from the carrier - ONLY the carrier can authorize and initiate an unlock).

Apr 17, 2012 7:50 AM in response to Michael Black

yes I mean the carrier lock, in France we call it the simlock.

On blackberry mobiles, and many others this feature is available : you can see it on this video (at 2min30 to 3 min00) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htWUghWI6bE

When you want to buy an used iPhone, how do you get the carrier lock status ? With this kind of option, it is very easy to know.

Apr 17, 2012 8:01 AM in response to seyed76

Even with a Blackberry, you would normally go through your carrier. Your video shows what the carriers would refer to as an unauthorized unlock which is possible because BlackBerry and Android phones are easily accessable by script hacks that can find the hidden MEP codes and other information (that's all places like the one in the video do, crack the firmware and then sell/distribute the information).

Again, there is no way to know to which carrier an iPhone is locked to from the phone itself (and in Europe, some are sold without a SIM, but then lock to whichever carrier they are first activated with). You will need to ask the seller to track that information down, since the only way to unlock an iPhone is to do so through a request to the carrier it is locked to.

Apr 17, 2012 8:42 AM in response to Nguyen vu huy

Nguyen vu huy wrote:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I got an Iphone 4, gift from my friend, that an lock iphone.

Now i heard that "AT&T to begin unlocking off-contract". So, would you please help me check my iphone can unlock? my IMEI: -------64044

I can't call AT&T service bacause I'm living in Vietnam.

I look forwards to hearing from you.

This is not an Apple technical support forum. This is a forum of fellow users helping users. No one here can check anything for you, nor call AT&T for you. If you want your AT&T phone unlocked, you would need to deal with that yourself - it is between you and AT&T and there is nothing anyone here can do for you about that.

iPhone SIM lock/unlock status

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.