Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie Source Video problems

Hoping someone can help me with this problem... I don't know what happened, so I'm going to provide as much detail as possible.

I've been working on a video in iMovie '11 (on Lion). Everything was taken from one source video clip, which was in its own event.

Last night, I was able to watch the video in iMovie without any problems. That was the last time I successfully played the video.

This morning, I deleted a duplicate of the project (which had been created about a week ago) to free up some space. I also decided to delete some excess video from my source clip (at the very end), so I selected the part I wanted to delete and hit Reject Selection. I then clicked on a 0:01 clip that somehow escaped from the very end and hit Reject again.

I then clicked on the Move Rejected Clips to Trash button and the application (not the computer as a whole) immediately froze. After leaving it for 5-10 minutes without any changes, I decided that it was best to Force-Quit the program and did so. I can't remember perfectly, but I think I might have emptied the Trash too.

In any case, when I re-opened the project, I found that the Event was completely empty. All of the audio and video clips in the timeline displayed the "Source clip is missing" message and triangle.

Here's where I'm stuck, though. I went into the "iMovie Events" folder and clicked on the Event... and the video was still there (all 8+ GB of it). In addition, my computer's remaining hard drive space was about the same (certainly less than 1 GB difference) as it was before.

The video's name was "name-0.mov" (changing the actual name to keep it simple), which may or may not be correct. I did notice that none of the other videos in the other events had a -0 suffix, so I tried changing it by deleting the suffix. When I re-opened iMovie, I found that the warning triangles had disappeared from the timeline; however, the viewing window still displayed the message and refused to play the video. In addition, the little square that usually displays the FPS rate now said "0" instead of the usual "24".

So, here's my question: What's going on, and how can I fix it?

Here are a few other details (which might be irrelevant, but whatever):

• I looked at the file path on the video clips (by hovering over them) and it is the same as the source video's location and name.
  • When the video has the -0 ending, the red playhead moves smoothly. When it is removed, the playhead moves choppily (think 1 FPS) and iMovie immediately uses 80%+ of my CPU.
  • The Trash is empty on my computer, probably becasue I've emptied it several times (after confirming that the clips weren't there).
  • I selected "Show all clips" for the event. The video isn't there at all--it's not just rejected or something.
  • I cannot open the source video in QuickTime; its icon also suggests that it's corrupted or messed up somehow.
  • The source video is playable in the "iMovie Temporary Items" folder. This video is 9.89 GB; the one in the Events folder is 8.83 GB. Not sure if this means anything.

I'd be really grateful if anyone could show me how to fix this problem. I do have more copies of the source video, so if I just need need to replace the current video file with another one and change something to make it work, that'd be great.

Please let me know if you have any ideas, and thank you in advance for your time.

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 7:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 8:16 AM

OH MY GOD I GOT IT

I just tried my own idea of re-importing the source video and IT WORKED! I'm exporting now in case I lose it again, but I deleted the 'corrupted' video file and it's still playing in iMovie!

This is kind of embarrassing, but I'm going to leave this up just in case anyone else has the same problem.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2012 8:16 AM in response to macrobot

OH MY GOD I GOT IT

I just tried my own idea of re-importing the source video and IT WORKED! I'm exporting now in case I lose it again, but I deleted the 'corrupted' video file and it's still playing in iMovie!

This is kind of embarrassing, but I'm going to leave this up just in case anyone else has the same problem.

Apr 17, 2012 8:17 AM in response to macrobot

Just some thoughts...

In theory, you should be able to reject clips and then move rejected to trash and still have your project intact. However, this could take several hours, and it may appear that your computer is in a loop. You just have to let it finish.

In practice, I find it best to get my Event trimmed down before I start editing.

In your case, when you force quit, you probably left the event in an unknown intermediate state, so chances of getting it back are not good.

However, you mentioned having a copy of the source video.

(This is worth a try, but no guarantees)

Move all your clips and folders out of your Event temporarily to another location. If this works, you can delete them later. If it doesn't work, you can move this stuff back.

Now you should have an empty Event folder with the name being the name of your event.

Import your source footage and select this Event as the target. Let it generate thumbnails. If you were using stabilization, let it do that too. If you are lucky, it will name everything the same thing that your project is expecting and your project may work.

Apr 17, 2012 8:36 AM in response to AppleMan1958

I actually ended up solving the problem by doing just that a few minutes before you posted your comment (see above)... I didn't delete everything in the Events folder, but it seems to have worked fine.

Even though I ended up getting it, I appreciate the fact that you replied, so have a few points on me 😉.

One other question, if anyone else happens to stop by:

Is it ok to delete something from the Temporary Items folder? The extra ~10 GB video file that I mentioned earlier is a bit of a drag, since I'm on a small SSD (and I only have 10 GB left--not too much to work with).

Apr 29, 2014 1:36 PM in response to abcdefg?

I have the same question. Can't find the answer.

iMovie has consistently de-linked my edited project from the source videos, resulting in yellow triangle warnings telling me the source video is missing. Meanwhile, back at the event ranch, the source videos are sitting there having a cup of tea.

and iMovie keeps crashing.

someone in another forum said to try creating a new user to test, but that would mean spending hours re-editing the video just to see if it still screws up. I don't have time for that. I have to spend hours waiting for iMovie to reboot, and event clips to optimize before they load to the project, no time to waste doing other stuff. 😉

I'm using iMovie 9. It's always worked fine. But now that my FCPX is not working on Mavericks (grrrrrr), I resorted to editing with iMovie on my MacPro 10.6.8

I'm ready to change careers. Again.

iMovie Source Video problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.