Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Failed to logout error message on reaccess after manual sleep?

Often I just put my Macbook Pro with Lion OS to sleep manually, instead of shutting down. Since the upgrade to OS Lion, when I return to the computer I often am greeted with a message that I could not be logged out because Firefox failed to quit. Is sleep a logout? I don't intend to logout...though I do require a password to regain access after the computer enters the sleep state. This is a consistent issue with Lion, which never occurred with the earlier OS. What's going on, and is there a fix?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Mac and Office updates all current

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 9:37 AM

4 replies

Apr 17, 2012 8:28 PM in response to kaleopono

With the Macbook Pro putting itself to sleep, I got the message:

"You haven't been logged out because the application Microsoft Outlook failed to quit. To try logging out again, quit Microsoft Outlook and choose Apple menu > Log Out."

It appears that Lion is confused, trying to log the user out when it should just be putting the machine to sleep.

General Security & Privacy settings: Checked box, Require password immediately after sleep or screen saver begins. That's OK. But I also see the grayed out option affecting all accounts on this computer is checked: Log out after 30 minutes of inactivity. I think I need to logout as User, and log back in as Administrator, to change this...which I will try after completing this reply.

Failed to logout error message on reaccess after manual sleep?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.