Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I improve overall performance

Hello everyone,

I am starting to do more and more projects recently everything from ilusstrations, 3d motion graphics, video work, compoisitng etc... The laptop seems to be doing okay but I know there is room for improvement. I'm definately going to max out my ram to 8gb. I'm thinking of doing this opti bay thing here http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=OBSXGB- UNB&Category_Code=STORHDOPTIBAY

and putting in a ssd as the main drive and keeping the 750 gb for storage purposes. That or possibly just upgrading the ram and the hard drive to something higher than 5400rpm.

Should I just start with ram upgrade, should I just upgrade the hard drive to something with higher rpd or go solid state. Also what brands do you recommend? I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks you in advance.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 4gb ram, 2.2 ghz intel i7

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 12:04 PM

21 replies

Apr 17, 2012 12:11 PM in response to bessera

If you can afford it then do it all. No point wasting time. The optibay idea is a good one, but before you make any decisions on what to buy visit:

OWC for memory, hard drives, and SSDs. They also have a product called DiskDoubler for replacing the optical drive with an SSD or second hard drive. Similar, I think, to OptiBay.

DataMem for memory.

If you purchase an SSD then you may not need to also replace the hard drive, but if you do replace the hard drive do so with a 7200 RPM drive for its faster speed.

I've done several of these types of upgrades, so I'm pretty familar with how they are done.

Apr 17, 2012 12:22 PM in response to Kappy

I need the storage since the video files I work with are quite large and so far i've only seen ssd going up to 250 gb. I don't want to tote around and have to plug in a portable drive while i'm on the go. That's why I was thinking of main drive ssd, take out the optical drive and put in the 750gb there. How much of an improvement do you think I would see if I did 8 or 16 gb ram and just upgrading the harddrive to something with 7200 rpm?

Apr 17, 2012 12:31 PM in response to bessera

Be cautious about replacing your optical drive with an SSD or hard drive. Such a modification is not supported by Apple and may void your warranty.

Upgrading the RAM to at least 8 GB for what you're doing would be highly recommended. My personal preference would be a larger, faster hard drive over an SSD... there are still just too many potential issues with an SSD for me to be willing to spend the extra for less storage!

Regarding performance issues, note that there are many things you can do beyond just tweak the hardware. See the Mac OS X Speed FAQ.

Apr 17, 2012 12:45 PM in response to thomas_r.

Well, it's correct that if you cause any damage doing such a modification then that damage won't be covered under your warranty. But if the computer is out of warranty then such a concern is academic. 🙂

I've installed SSDs using the OWC DiskDoubler in two laptops. I've also installed an OWC SSD in my Mac Pro and in a non-Apple netbook. No problems with any of these.

The nice thing about OWC's SSDs is that the controller they use obviates the need to have TRIM. And, in spite of that there is a utility that will activate TRIM for non-Apple SSDs - TrimEnabler.

How do I improve overall performance

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.